We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel ideas.

Poole, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel ideas.

I am going to Crete for 3 weeks at the end of August. Could anyone suggest any attractions and places to visit?

There are 2 of us and we are staying in Heraklion but will rent a car, so distance is not a problem. All ideas are welcome and I'm very grateful for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel ideas.

Hi and welcome to the forums,

Are you staying all the days in Heraklion? Is it possible to stay, say in 2 places, that would help because Crete is a big island and moving for example at southwest Chania is a very long route.

I am suggesting not to miss visitng Knossos, Phaistos, Gortys, Malia. The arcaeological museum of Heraklion.

The castle Koules in the port of Heraklion, part of the fortification of the longest ever siege in history.

If you travel to the east make sure you visit spinalonga island.

To the west there is Rethymnon with its beautiful old town and the Fortezza castle, and half an hour from there is the historical monastery of Arkadi, and the palm tree beach of Preveli.

Also to the east there is Chania, probably the most beautiful city of Greece, and even more western, some of the most beautiful beaches like Falasarna, Elafonisi, Balos, Sougia, and Loutro. Samaria gorge is also a must.

I surely missed a lot, but I think covered the basics but I think you can do also a little research on your own about the places I told you, and maybe come back to give you even more info

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Crete
Crete
Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Fortezza Hotel
Fortezza Hotel
247 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Arkadi Hotel
Arkadi Hotel
327 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Elafonisi Resort by Kalomirakis Family
Elafonisi Resort by...
284 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Sougia
Sougia
Crete, Greece
Loutro
Loutro
Crete, Greece
Samaria Hotel
Samaria Hotel
597 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,779 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel ideas.

Yes, it's not easy to recommend places without knowing your priorities - e.g. archaeology/beaches/scenery/walking/hiking/waterparks/clubbing etc etc.

I strongly recommend that if you are staying for 3 weeks, you have plenty of time to stay in 2 or 3 different locations, which I think would be a good idea..

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,130 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel ideas.

I'm guessing that your asking for suggestions re attractions and places to visit means that you don't yet know very much about Crete, or about what this Great Island (as it has been known for centuries) offers, and that you therefore don't yet have priorities. At this early stage of your planning, what would be of most help is not other people's opinions, but spending some time doing a bit of background reading. There are several guidebooks to Crete: the Rough Guide and the Insight Guide are especially good, I think.

Gerlion has given you some good ideas, and he and Steve both recommend that you have two bases, or even three. Because Crete is so large (it's the Great Island size-wise as well as history-wise, landscape-wise, and every other-wise) and the distances are so deceptive, I think they are absolutely right. But perhaps you have a non-negotiable reason for wanting to staying the entire time in Heraklion (staying with friends or relatives for example?) If that's the case, Heraklion is probably the best place to stay, since it's bang in the centre and the best starting point for reaching the far east and the far west, and points between, plus most of the main historical and archaeological sites. It's also a very interesting and rewarding city - much more to it than the complaints about the traffic would lead you to believe. (It's a city, after all!)

To give you an idea. it will take you about an hour, perhaps a bit less, to drive to Rethymnon and 2 hours to drive to Chania; another hour to Falassarna, and 1.5-2 more hours to Elafonisi. Driving east, it will take you a good hour to drive to Agios Nikolaos and another 2.5 hours to drive to Sitia. So a good 7-8 hours between the far east and the far west. And if you want to go to the South coast, you need another 1.5 hours from Chania to Chora Sfakion or Paleochora or Sougia (the only villages that have roads) or an hour from Rethymnon to Plakias.

That gives you a baseline for your trip planning, but I think you could make better use of your time than to spend so much of it in the car! It would definitely be better to have two or three bases, but there's no point in suggesting the other base(s) until you've (a) told us more about yourself and (b) what interests you. So your next step is to read, make a short list of the places that appeal to you, and then once you've got to that stage, come back with some specific questions.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 14:24
Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Falassarna
Falassarna
Crete, Greece
Elafonisi Resort by Kalomirakis Family
Elafonisi Resort by...
284 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Agios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos
Crete, Greece
Sitia
Sitia
Crete, Greece
South Coast Hotel
South Coast Hotel
49 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Sougia
Sougia
Crete, Greece
Plakias
Plakias
Crete, Greece
Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel ideas.

It also depends on your style of travel. If you pack light and don't mind moving from place to place, you could easily expand your number of bases to 6 or 7 if exploration is more of a priority than relaxing on the beach.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel ideas.

Hi there

Another major consideration for having 2-3 bases is that petrol is dearer in Greece than it is here so you need to minimise backtracking as much as possible. So, sit down for a couple pf hours with one of those guide books and make a list of the places/sites/attractions/towns, etc that appeal to you based upon your preferences. It's no good us telling what to do until we have an idea what you would like to see and do. Three weeks is a great time to have, but you will still need to make a list and stick to it, or else you will end up spending the majority of your available time in the car.

If you do want to see a spread of sights across the island, then you could, as somewhere to start, consider mayeb Agios Nikolaos, then either somewhere around the Matala or Plakias areas on the south coast for base #2, then back to the north coast to Chania in the west

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Agios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos
Crete, Greece
Matala
Matala
Crete, Greece
Plakias
Plakias
Crete, Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,779 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel ideas.

The distances are large, but I think the timings given above for Sitia are too long. The bus from Ag. Nik - Sitia takes 1 hr 45m;

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

Maybe the road has been significantly improved in the last few years.

We drove back from near Makrigialos up towards Sitia and back along the north coast to Gouves last year, and I think it took about 2 hours.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 18:39
Mentioned in this post
Sitia
Sitia
Crete, Greece
Makrigialos Beach
Makrigialos Beach
154 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Gouves
Gouves
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,130 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel ideas.

Steve

Yes, I should have said (I intended to in an edit, but time ran out on me) that my guesstimates of driving times might be out of date, as it's many years since I've driven the roads in the eastern part of Crete. I wanted just to give Kate a rough idea of what she might expect, and encourage her to decide on another base or two - partly because of GB's observation about petrol, the cost of which will mount up astronomically if they stay in Heraklion but want to see most of the island, but mostly because although the roads of Crete are beautiful and exciting, they'd have a better holiday if they didn't spend half their time sitting in a car.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 22:51
Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Poole, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel ideas.

Wow thank you so much everyone for your ideas!!! I have read through a couple of guide books - that was a great idea! I'm so grateful and I can't wait to get going now!!!! :)

9. Re: Travel ideas.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:17