We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

york
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

I have asked a few questions before but want to start afresh incase any info has changed etc.

I fly out to the creta maris from Manchester on 16th august, the 9am flight tcx2464 I think it is?

does anyone know if this flight is regularly late/delayed etc?

also what are peoples thoughts ref spending money? we are all inclusive, but will want to eat out a couple of times etc. we are a group of 4 adults (2 couples) and an 18 month old baby.

we will be bringing swim nappies but buying regular ones locally id guess. we have all the clothing/suntan lotion etc I think we could ever need so wont be buying any toiletries unless an emergency. I was thinking about bringing approx £500 for myself, the wife and our baby. allowing for a couple of good meals, trips etc would you say this is enough? can bring more if needed but I hate using cards abroad so would rather bring too much cash in advance than not enough.

anyone else there at a similar time? we are there for 2 weeks of relaxing and reliable sun hopefully.

this is the first holiday I have ha din Europe since I was a teenager (always gone further afield) but the arrival of the little guy means we are closer to home. we are traveling with my wifes parents so can share the workload between us to a degree! obviously we will be sensible ref sun times etc etc but any tips at all much appreciated

york
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

also does anyone know what trips Thomas cook are likely to offer and prices etc?

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

Hi ...not sure about money because I always go self catering in crete as love to eat out but just wanted to say dont book trips thru ur tour operator - go to th local tour places +book - cheaper +better trips (in my opinion!)

york
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

yea will look at booking locally but have no idea what trips will be offered so want to use Thomas cook prices as a guide. doing some quick mental maths I think £500 is probably ott but want to be safe!

york
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

any more replies? especially ref the spending money?!?!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

Hi there

If the majority of your food is already covered, you don't want to hire a car, and you're not alcoholics, then I think £500 will be just about enough for two weeks. . Definitely book trips via a local excursion office, they will be at least 15% cheaper than the prices the tour reps or the hotel will ask for, and you will end up on the same coach anyway.

You and the other half can dine out well for €30-35 , this for two courses and a litre of house wine. of course, it's the incidentals that eat into the cash, and when you consider that most organised excursions start at €25 each, you'd only need to take 3 or 4 of those during the two weeks to make a bit of a dent in the float. I assume also that apart from those trips, you really don't want to be tied to the hotel every day? You might fancy a wander a few times, sink a few beers, maybe have a lunch when you're out and about, you're bound to spend cash in the local shops. Most excursions don't include entry charges so you need to consider that too.

We budget €100 a day but we go self catering. Even if I were going all-inc, I might want to take a bit extra just in case, but that's your call naturally.

york
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

ok thanks. im not worried how much we spend just want to make sure we have enough without going crazy. I would guess we will do 1-2 organised trips but otherwise just get out and about by foot I would imagine. is there any harbours or anything like that within walking distance of the creta maris? happy to have a decent wander in the evening don't mind a long walk and our little boy loves it even in the intense heat we have had here lately, I know it will be warmer still but we will have a pushchair as back up (im talking evening walks mainly obviously common sense will prevail)

york
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

anyone else got any thoughts at all?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

Hi the harbours within easy walking distance of the creta maris , just come out of the hotel take a left and up the hill go down first left then right follow the road that takes you there then that's you right on the main strip after that . As gb said excursions can be had on the main road on the way up from the hotel a lot cheaper than Thomas Cook in the hotel , We ate out a few times average meal for two with wine / local beer was € 25 -30 and if you just fancy a beer large ones for 2 euro .

york
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

thanks for the reply, anything else local to the hotel worth seeing/doing? especially on an evening

york
Level Contributor
506 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: creta maris in less than 3 weeks! spending money etc

just another thought, is crete somewhere we need to worry about insect/mosquito repellent etc?