We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lactose intolerant

Caerphilly, Wales...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lactose intolerant

Hi we are thinking of going to Crete in October but I'm a bit concern about food as I'm lactose intolerant,

Is there much English spoken and will I be able to explain about my intolerance??

Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,716 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lactose intolerant

Most people who work in the resorts do speak some English, but whether they will understand you if you say "lactose intolerance" is debatable! They will try to be helpful if you tell them you cannot eat anything made with milk, yoghurt, or cheese, but as they are only serving the food, not preparing and cooking it, they may not be fully informed as to what is in it.

It's really your responsibility to avoid foods that might give you trouble, so try to familiarise yourself with Greek/Cretan food before you go. A good way would be to get a Greek cookery book. Or do a little on-line research. Here's a lovely, informative website that I just came across (thanks for inspiring me to look).

www.uncorneredmarket.com/2012/02/crete-food/

For starters, you need to know that many of the complex cooked dishes contain cheese - moussaka, pastitsta, and boureki which you'll find on just about every menu.

Note than anything made with milk products will be made from sheep or goat milk, not cow (there are no cows in Crete). Are you insensitive to all lactose, or just cow? If you are, then to avoid any possibility of misunderstanding, or contact with milk, o be really safe, you can stick to the simple grilled meats and fish, vegetables, and salads (but order Greek salad/horiatiki without feta) that you'll find everywhere.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 07:23
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lactose intolerant

Alabastron you make a mistake here, there are no cows in Crete, but there is cow milk coming from mainland Greece, and it's used most often.

Only in days of terrible weather when ships don't travel there is a temporary shortage. Of course many cheese like the most common feta, has milk of sheep and goats.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,185 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lactose intolerant

HI there

If you are travelling in the mountain villages and the more remote places it may be an idea taking a card with an explanation in Greek that you are Lactose intolerant - just in case :-) I am sure that our resident Greek expert gerlion will be able to provide this ? :-)

But there Is a large range of food that you can choose, I travel once a year with my friend who is also Lactose intolerant, she stick to fish, fresh vegetables and of course all the pulses that the Greeks cook so well, fava, large beans in tomato, black eye beans, not forgetting the Horta (wild greens too)

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lactose intolerant

"Δυσανεξία στη λακτόζη" "Disanexia sti laktozi" is a very accurate translation, but it's mostly a term you will be using mostly in a hospital.

In a taverna use "Δεν μπορώ να χωνέψω γαλακτοκομικά προϊοντα" "Den mporo na honepso galaktokomika proionta" "which means "I can't digest dairy products"

I tried to wright it in capital letters that would have been more comprehensible but TA didn't allow

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,716 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lactose intolerant

Apologies for my mistake, Emma: please ignore my final paragraph.

Caerphilly, Wales...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lactose intolerant

Gerlion

Thank you soo much for your translation this is very much appreciated and will make my holiday much more enjoyable.can I ask you am I safe if I stick to the grilled meats fish and veg dishes also the pulses ??? as suggested by mg100surry.

Also thank you to every one else who posted.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lactose intolerant

Quite right Emma. None of them requires dairy products to make. In general avoid any sauce containing dish.

In many restaurants there is a detailed information in the menu of the ingredients used in a dish. That will surely help you choose a wider variety than pulses and grilled fish and meat.

Note that the starter "Dakos" referred at Alabastron links, is referred in Rethymnon only (!) as "Koukouvaia" (translated as night owl :-) ), as it is one you should be avoiding.

In case also you want to eat a Gyros,the Greek fast food, tell them to put no yogurt.

If you need any help in the dishes don't hesitate to ask :-)

8. Re: Lactose intolerant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:17