We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Crete

london
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Crete

Hi,

A relation has suggested that we have a holiday in Crete in mid Sept but we really know very little about the country.

We're in our mid 60s and won't be renting a car, but like to visit lots of interesting places, so need somewhere with a good bus station so we can get around; we like seeing local life and people, as well as historic places. Also we like walking, but I have a slightly dodgy knee so I guess that means not too much climbing!

Where is a good place to stay that won't be noisy, and is accessible and has some things going on in the evening? And maybe good but not expensive hotels; we don't need a pool but a nice garden would be nice?

Is mid to end Sept a good time?

Thanks and look forward to the visit,

Phil

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Crete

Hi Phil

There are so many places on Crete that would tick all your boxes, but why not look at the Lovely Lato Hotel, it just seems to tick all your boxes just under an hour from Heraklion airport, a pleasant walk (20 min into the town of Agios) but still a few tavernas in the local area if you don't fancy the walk

Small friendly family run Greek hotel, with around 30 rooms only and with some great views...anyway have a look at the links below for more info :

http://www.lato-hotel.com.gr/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g189414-d2647…

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Crete

Hi again

Forgot to say that mid to end of September is a lovely time to visit Crete we will be in Agios Nikolaos from the 24th September and have spent 10 days around this time every year for the last 6 years or so, it perfect weather warm and the sea is beautiful and warm too....and still lovely to sit outside in the evenings too without being too hot :-)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Crete

Hi there

Crete has major bus stations in the towns of Chania, Rethymno, Iraklion, and as MG says, Agios Nikolaos. Stay in or close to any of those towns and you will have a good bus service at your disposal.

london
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Crete

thanks for this, very helpful; now which of these towns would fit best into the other things we'd like , such as not very noisy and not very steep!

Phil

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Crete

Hi there

As I tend to stay in Agios its obviously the area that I know the best and the main area of Agios is flat so you wont encounter any hills... I have also stayed in Rethymnon and Chania and cant remember any hills there either - all are working Greek towns with an all year round populations, so its gives all the town a good mix of locals and tourists

At the end of September things are starting to quieten down that why I would suggest you stay in one of the above mentioned.

Do also be aware that Crete has two airports Chania that serves the west of the island and Heraklion that serves the East.

london
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Crete

So whiich airport would be best for Agios, Iraklion and Rethymno? And would any of the places be better situated for being close to the main sights in Crete?

Thanks,

Phil

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Crete

Hi there

If you were staying in Agios and/or Rethymnon then you can fly into Iraklion airport, from London Gatwick - check out the easyjet flights first as they are usually the cheapest. :-) I am assuming you are talking about this September? prices with easy jet will be approx. £200/250 each return booking this late.

Transfer time to both is around an hour (by taxi) - but with transfer companies it will obviously be slightly longer depending on the amount of drop offs.

8. Re: Where to stay in Crete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 05:18