We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Agios Nikolaos?

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Agios Nikolaos?

We are currently staying in Ag Nik, thinking of hiring a car for a day to either visit Sitia or take a drive up into the hills to see some smaller traditional villages. Any thoughts on this? Is it worth hiring a car as the buses see to be pretty good? Would really appreciate some suggestions from the experts on here!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,930 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Agios Nikolaos?

quick reply just now but definitely worth hiring a car.......have a read through this thread from earlier today :-)

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189414-i1093-k6…

Edited: 30 August 2013, 22:34
Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Agios Nikolaos?

That's great thanks, I didn't see that thread earlier! We like the sound of Kritsa then the plateau. Google maps doesn't seem to be finding these places though! Any simple driving directions anyone can offer?

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,930 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Agios Nikolaos?

Just head for the main coastal road East (if heading out of Ag Nik in the Heraklion direction turn left at the first junction out of Ag Nik (right would take you to Elounda). Just a couple of KM's take a right (it's sign posted Kritsa. You'll drive through a couple of villages but just stay on the road and you will reach Kritsa. The ancient city of Lato is sign posted on your right just as you reach Kritsa and is only 3/4 KM along the road. For the plateau just drive through the village (it is sign posted) and follow the mountain road taking you higher and higher. Also in Kritsa to find the house where "the daughter of Kritsa" lived walk along the main street passed all the shops and keep walking. Right at the end of the street (at it's narrowest point" and the house on your left you will see a small cross above the front door (the house is in my photo's) which signifies the house of a priest and this is where she lived.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,930 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Agios Nikolaos?

Oops I just realised that I had my setting set at private for most of the photo's in my Ag Nik, Kritsa, Lato Katharo album but I've fixed it now :-) flickr.com/photos/…

5. Re: Day trip from Agios Nikolaos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:17