We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

Hi, my son and his girlfriend are due to fly to Crete on 24th September for 14 nights. They were booked into the Forest Park Hotel, Rethymnon, but the holiday company "On the Beach" that they booked with have sent an email notifying my son that the hotel booking has been cancelled due to "contractual reasons". On the Beach have offered another hotel "Pantheon Hotel" which is further out of Rethymnon and also had quite a lot of bad reviews on TA. We have looked at alternative hotels but it looks as if it will cost more money which my son can't afford.

What should they do, any advice is very welcome.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

Was this a package holiday with the hotel already paid for? If not then do it yourself is very easy in Greece. There are good booking engines such as booking dot com where you can view and get prices of many hotels in Rethymnon and simply book it yourself. Or you can just get to Rethymnon and start walking the old town streets looking for a hotel on a walk up basis. The chances are they will get a good hotel at well below rack rate because it is later in the season.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

Hi there

I haven't looked at the reviews for the alternate hotel, but as long as all the reviews aren't bad, then I would take the offer. If the reviews are balanced, i.e. some good, some bad, some indifferent, it would not put me off from staying there, but if they're all bad, then I would ask for your money back and do as stanbr suggests. There will be plenty of available hotel room in late September.

If the Pantheon is located to the east of Rethymno along that long beach strip, there is an excellent bus service running to and from Rethymno.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

Hi,

Pantheon Hotel is at the south western outskirts of the town. Half way from Rethymnon to the village of Atsipopoulo.

It has very regular bus service, and nice view of the town as it overlooks the whole town. I don't know how good or bad it is.

As Stanbr you can book it your self. I can even recommend a couple according to your needs, like near or far from the beach, the old town etc.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

I see what you mean by the reviews - they are pretty poor.

I think the key thing here is the small print on your contract with OTB. It my allow them to change hotels at will, it may not.

At least say you're not happy with the alternative offered and ask them to come up with something better - give them links to the review pages as evidence.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

Hi, thank you for your replies. Yeah I have advised my son to ask On the Beach for an alternative to the Pantheon, otherwise I have found the Fortezza Hotel in Rethymnom which looks really nice. It will cost more but there isn't much he can do about it. He just needs to find out if there is an alternative to the Pantheon first.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

Definately pick Fortezza Hotel, it's in the middle of everything in the middle of the old town.

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

Unfortunately the Fortezza Hotel ended up as unavailable. They are now booked into the Mary Hotel in Platanes near Rethymnon. Fingers crossed that it is ok. It's around 3 miles away from Rethymnon but I am sure they can get the local bus.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

Hi again

There's an excellent, all day bus service that links Rethymno to Platanes and the other resorts along that stretch of coastline

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

Local bus timetable here, near the bottom of the page 'hotels':

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel has been cancelled by holiday company, what to do?

A tip if they stay in Platanes and get the local bus in : on their return, either get the bus from the bus station, if it's handy for them, or else go to the bus stop on the eastern side of the municipal park. For some reason many people go to the stop just around the corner, by the post office. Whichever bus pulls in there, the crowd surges forward asking if it's the 'hotels' bus - whatever it says on the front. The stop by the park usually only has a few locals at it.