We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almyrida

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Almyrida

Thinking of Crete in 2014 and stumbled across Almyrida its looks quiet nice anyone know anything about it

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,609 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Almyrida

hi..i think these two topics from almyrida forum will give you an idea..

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g775923-i12627-k…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g775923-i12627-k…

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Almyrida

Here's another recent link...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k68…

Almyrida has a lovely sandy, gently shelving beach, with tavernas & bars alongside the sand. It does get busy 2nd half of July & August, many nationalities - incl Greeks, German, Scandinavians, French, Russian, dutch, Danish & English tourists, which gives an international feel.

About 5 years ago there were several bars run by Brits - these no longer exist (I think just 1 small bar is British-owned now).

I live quite near Almyrida, so any specific questions, do ask!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Almyrida

Thanks think im just being paranoid we have decided on crete but dont want to choose the wrong resort a sandy beach is a must with modern apartments within 5 mins of the beach, i did look at aghi marghia sorry re spellig the beach looks nice there, we wont be hiring a car but wouk catch the bus to chania etc plaka looks nice above almyrida

London
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Almyrida

When staying in Kalyves, which is just next door to Almyrida, we decided to go into Almyrida for a meal one evening. This was probably the worst meal we have ever had in all the thirty years or going to Greece. The owner was very rude when we complained politely, so obviously we never returned.

The beach is ok there, but quite small IMO. In fact, why not try Kalyves - a proper Greek town, harldy any tourists, and a lovely big sandy beach, which attracts all the locals at the weekends.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Almyrida

Gosh Ellagee, that IS unusual, do you want to tell us which taverna? Or could it just be a 1-off? Mostly the food in Almyrida is very good, many people go there from Chania to eat by the waterside, although it's better still in Plaka - more authentic local & cheap.

Cherub - yes Plaka is really nice. It has 2 excellent tavernas, another 2 tavernas & a souvlaki shop, a little Italian bistro & 2 bar/ kafenions - so for a smallish village it's well set for eating & drinking! Lots of nice private villas to rent in both Plaka & Almyrida. It's a 15 min walk downhill from Plaka to the beach, a bit slower uphill on the way back, especially in the summer. There are lots of English & Scandinavians living in Plaka, but lots of Cretans too, it is a 'real' village, not a resort..

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,961 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Almyrida

Ok thanks will keep looking

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Almyrida

Hi cherub77, I think the Kalyves Beach Hotel Best Western would be a good choice for you. It's modern, footsteps away from a sandy beach, and next to a river too. I had a really good meal today too at the Mistali tavern, nearby which I definitely recommend.

London
Level Contributor
784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Almyrida

Hi Jwugg - Didnt take on board the name of the Taverna, but it was on the beach side and was quite large with many tables. Also, as you entered there was a high desk/reception/bar directly in front of you. Any ideas?.. In fact, have to say that the food generally on Crete was not too good all round IMO and this was just another bad food experience while there...sorry.

9. Re: Almyrida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:20