We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

Hi I would really appreciate some advice and views on holidaying in Crete , my partner and I love Greece and have visited various islands corfu kefalonia santorini halkidiki , and are now thinking of Crete, we like to travel around we hire a car, we love time on the beach , we like to find small beaches, we prefer it not to be to commercial touristy , we like to sample the real Greece . The island is large with two airports where is your preference to holiday , we do like some night life but at our age clubbing is out of the question now , looking for a small hotel or BB guest house smaller the better we do not like large hotels at all.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully you can help me choose a wonderful 2 week holiday for July . JackieV

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

Hi Jackie

Crete can offer a huge variety of destinations but to a certain degree it depends what you'd like to do and see whilst there. The island has loads of ancient sites, but the major ones are situated to the central/south and east of the island so if these were to be places you wish to visit, it's no good staying in or around the Chania area. Having said that, if you did elect to fly to Chania rather than Iraklion, then that end of Crete certainly has its fair share of great places to visit albeit tends to be rather more laid back.

Hiring a car is a great idea - Crete ha a generally excellent bus service but as with anywhere, there are places the buses don't go to and of course a car gives you way more flexibility, comfort, and you can stop when you like, where you like.

As first time visitors 20-odd years ago, we opted for the central/east side of the island mainly because of our interest in ancient sites and the fact that there are several within an easy drive of Iraklion, or the various resorts to the city's east. The north coast of Crete has the benefit of a modern highway that runs for most of its length, and links the major towns and resorts.

So, for now, what I would politely suggest that you swot up a bit on the island, buy a good guide book ( Rough Guide is hard to fault), use Google, Youtube or whatever, see which places/resorts/sights appeal to you based on your preferences, make a short-list then come back to the forum where we can then advise and help to put things into a logical sequence.

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

Thanks I'm doing my homework as we speak , but I have always found these forums to give me honest

reviews , we would visit some ancient sites but mainly beach people by day good taverna and cold beer people by night , we love to drive and explore the islands and we have often found very secluded beaches, we prefer to be away from the mad crowds drunken youngsters

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

Well, as a start, have a look at Sissi and Elounda. Sissi is a pretty, fishing village, very compact and has enough to keep you occupied. It tends to attract various age roups but you won't find hordes of lager louts there simply because of the total lack of full on night life. Elounda is further east, rather more upmarket, great beach, plenty of bars and restaurants and is more of a couples' resort, great views across to the Spinalonga peninsula.

Both are along the north coast, Sissi about a 45 min ride from the airport, Elounda about 70 mins, and both are excellent locations from which to explore this part of Crete.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

We like the south side of Crete, the east or west are very nice. Any place that has a beach will have rooms or hotels and tavernas for tourists. They do not rely on just Greeks for customers. We like Elafonissi, Lputro, Plakais, Makry Giailos. Either airport will do if heading south., Search for an interactive map, that may help you to see what there is out there and where you might like to visit.. The more specific your questions the better answers you will get.. We have holidayed in May and September. I understand that July can be very busy everywhere. Have a nice trip where ever you go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

Thank you for taking the time to reply , much appreciated .

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

Cheers for that we love San Stephanos north east in corfu so Elounda sounds my type of place , I will look further at that area thanks for taking time to get back to me. Jackie

Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
839 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

Hi Jackie,

We were in Elounda first week July this year and only had light breeze which we appreciated as circulated air and didn't need air con! It is also sheltered by hills behind village and peninsular towards Spinalonga itself.

Nic :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

Thank you Nic I fully intend to research Elouda sounds lovely ,

Cheers

Jackie :-))

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

Hi Jackie

Yes we really like San Stephanos in Corfu too having only visited it for the first time in June this year so I am sure that you will love Elounda too

If you do decide on Elounda then do come back and ask some more questions about the general area, am happy to give you lots of information on the wonderful sandy beaches and places to visit in this area of Crete.

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice please on Crete as a holiday destination

MG100 surrey thanks for your reply I have been looking into Elounda and I think that's the place I'm going to head for, just need to find a small hotel or apartment ( 1 double bedroom ) . We will hire a car from the airport and explore the island , any info you could put my way will be greatly appreciated .

Thanks Jackie :-)