We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Chania airport to Heraklion or Stalis

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Chania airport to Heraklion or Stalis

Hi im traveling to Crete in august and flying with ryanair to Chania but i am staying in Stalis. My problem is transport from one to the other any suggestions please. My flight arrives at 21.00 and i see the transport to heraklion from chania stops at 21.30 so would not make the connection on time, does anyone know of a hotel we could spend the night in thats near to the airport and doesnt cost the earth. Thank you.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,801 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Chania airport to Heraklion or Stalis

Can I ask if you were aware of the distance between Chania and Stalis before you booked? If you did, then fair enough, but if you didn't, and you booked with onthebeach, they have a long history of doing this, and I know that some people did manage to change their hotel booking for somewhere close to Chania.

Have a look at these threads:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k61…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k56…

the second of which has links to the bus timetables.

Going back to your question, unless you hire a car or use a taxi at over €200 you will indeed have to stay in Chania. There should still be buses into town from the airport, and it makes sense to stay in town near the bus station. It is high season, but you should still be able to find a hotel for €50 or so - but you may have a problem getting a one-night booking in high season.

I have no specific recommendations for you, but have a look at the TA list of hotels in Chania, and marry those up with prices etc on, say, travelrepublic or a similar booking site. Make sure the hotel is in Chania city, not in one of the beach resorts nearby.

Two final thoughts - the bus timetable could change for next August, and it is possible that there may be a later bus from Chania to Heraklion. If you left Chania at, say, 10pm and arrived in Heraklion at 1230am or thereabouts, you would still be able to get a bus to Stalis - in August this year, the last bus left Heraklion at 0200!

Secondly, if the plane is a bit early, and you only have hand luggage, you could still just make a 2130 bus by getting a taxi straight to the bus station.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
811 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Chania airport to Heraklion or Stalis

There is an Heraklion bus from Chania at 22.30. But this would not get you in to Heraklion until about 1.00 in the morning and you`d still have to get a taxi to Stalis. There are 2 hotels right next to the bus station in Chania I believe they are the Omalos which is right next to the gate into the station and the Samaria which is just round the corner.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Chania airport to Heraklion or Stalis

>I believe they are the Omalos which is right next to the gate into the station and the Samaria which is just round the corner.<

That's correct. They are the two hotels closest to the bus station. You could also consider the Arkadi, just a few minutes walk away. I've stayed in it several times, and can recommend it.

http://www.arkadi-hotel.gr/

I'd advise against trying to get to Stalis that night: even if you could do it, it would be exhausting for you - and a bit hard on your accommodation landlord/lady to wait up for you until 2-3 am.

If you did book through onthebeach (or any other shifty agent that didn't spell out how far Stalis is from Chania airport) you should certainly try to change your booking, as Steve suggests, and fly to Heraklion.

4. Re: How to get from Chania airport to Heraklion or Stalis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 06:18