We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time....please help

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time....please help

Hi all

We are a young couple looking for a weeks holiday in Crete for relaxation. Not bothered about nightlife e.g clubs etc but would like be able to chill and go into villages for local food and also chill by the beach/pool.

Any ideas for location and accommodation would be great.

Many thanks.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time....please help

Hi

Any of the following resorts must suit your needs.

Georgioupolis, Kalives, Panormo, Plakias, Agia Galini, Paleochora, Loutro, Sougia, Sissi, Elounda, Sitia. There are others also, more or less, less known that I might forget, but those come to mind first. Elounda Sitia, and Paleochora are bigger.

Please do tell us about what time do you plan to come, because if you come early or at the end of the season, you'll probably see many of the resorts taverns/hotels/mini markets etc, closed. In such a case you'd rather look for either Rethymnon, Chania, of Agios Nikolaos the towns that have year round population.

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time....please help

I can personally recommend Sissi, great place to chill, lovely choice of tavernas, a few bars, one so called club, but popular with couples and families, not the choice of groups of youngsters .

Not fantastic beaches but there are a couple of medium sized family run hotels with great pools and owned by lovely people.

Have a look at the reviews for the Anixi , Marigianna and Alexandros.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
19,377 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time....please help

We fell in love with Sissi last year and can't wait to return in July. For an idea of Sissi (and the rest of the sets are within about a 40 mile radius of Sissi) I have posted some pics on my Flickr account flickr.com/photos/…

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,357 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time....please help

Hi there

Yes Sissi is a lovely village, but not brilliant for beaches - I would therefore suggest you look at Elounda instead, a very pretty fishing village with some great tavernas and a local sandy beach too....Elounda has some of the most beautiful views and is only a short bus ride (10 mins) away from Agios Nikolaos if you fancied a change one evening.

Elounda is also next door to the tiny village of Plaka and the island of Spinalonga (have a look at this link for more info )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK3JWu7f3Ow

Pontypridd
Level Contributor
441 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time....please help

If you are not overly bothered about having a beach close by (and assuming you are flying into Heraklion) you could take a look at the adjoining villages of Koutouloufari, Piskopiano and Old Hersonissos. These have plenty of excellent traditional tavernas (Davids, The Alchemist, Petrikos, Mezes and Nikos to name a few), some nice low key bars and a number of small shops. Spend the day relaxing around the pool and the evening strolling through the villages. There should be a Greek Night on a Monday in the village of Old Hersonissos. I say should because this appears in doubt every year but inevitably takes place. There is plenty of decent self catering accommodation. My favourite (and I am not alone) is the Sunrise Apartments Within a 15 minute walk you will find the beaches (the closest are not the best), and the more lively resort of Hersonissos. Hersonissos is not everyone's cup of tea but my view is that it is improving. The villages are 30-45 minutes from Heraklion Airport. Good luck. Wherever you choose I'm sure you will love Crete.

6. Re: First time....please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 07:20