We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort from Heraklion airport?

UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort from Heraklion airport?

We are flying into Heraklion airport and would like to know a good resort to stay in. We like small quiet traditional resorts near a beach but as it will be end of April/ may we are a bit concerned the tavernas in some of the smaller resorts will still be closed. Can anyone please suggest a nice place to stay?

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort from Heraklion airport?

Hi there

The season "officially" begins at the start of May although large all-inc hotels often open up before this. Most restaurants and tavernas will open up in early May although you can usually find a place open for business pretty much anywhere. What sort of accommodation are you looking for and do you want to avoid a long transfer from Iraklion airport? If so, then a couple of places to start would be Analipsi and Sissi. Bear in mind that the sea and most pools will be chilly in late April, too cold for swimming unless you are very hardy.

Mentioned in this post
May Hotel
May Hotel
147 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Iraklion Hotel
Iraklion Hotel
319 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Analipsi
Analipsi
Crete, Greece
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort from Heraklion airport?

We would probably look for a self catering apartment or villa and don't mind a transfer of and hour or two. our other thoughts is we might move round a bit. Thanks for the heads up on the sea and pool temp as might have looked for a pool.

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort from Heraklion airport?

Sissi would def suit but not sandy beaches, lovely small harbour town with a great choice of self catering places and wonderful tavernas.

If you really want sandy beach then Elounda would be a better choice.

Have a search on here at the hotels etc and if it they look what you want and you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort from Heraklion airport?

Thank you for your replies. I did look at Sissi and it looked great apart from it said it is only a few miles from Malia and groups get coached in to the beach during the day. Is there any truth in this? Any one know what rethymnon is like as I've had a few people tell me its a good base

Mentioned in this post
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,608 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort from Heraklion airport?

>it looked great apart from it said it is only a few miles from Malia and groups get coached in to the beach during the day.<

I wonder where you read this? I can't deny it, because I don't know, but I'd be extremely surprised if it were true, because Malia has a large and beautiful beach, and I can't imagine anyone staying in Malia wanting to go to Sissi's beach. But I could be quite wrong.

Apart from that, if it IS true, I too think that Sissi would meet your wishes.

Rethymnon is a city. It's a small city, a very nice one with a lovely old town and harbour, and a university, but it's a city, and you said you were looking for a small, quiet resort.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 12:46
Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
800 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort from Heraklion airport?

Sissi is close to Malia geographically, just along the coast, but far enough away from Malia's excesses (it's not walking distance unless you are feeling particularly energetic!) for the 18-30 crowd to have any impact on Sissi whatsoever. The two places are worlds apart in that respect, so you don't need to worry on that score.

Mentioned in this post
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,489 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort from Heraklion airport?

Hi there

I cant see people travelling from Malia to Sissi for the beach, which isn't that brilliant, but the beach in Malia is lovely, you sure it wasn't Stalis that they mentioned, which does have a lovely long sandy - often the high season tour operators have been know to base holiday makers in Stalis when they think they are going to Malia...

No worries about Sissi - its nothing like Malia - but as tonyandmandy mentioned look at Elounda which is a lovely resort with some good SC accommodation and a great beach too. It is only 10 mins from Agios Nikolaos too which you may want to visit especially this early in the season, as a working Greek town Agios will still have a buzz about the place this early in the season, we are off to Agios at the end of April and love this time of year :-)

Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Agios Nikolaos
Agios Nikolaos
Crete, Greece
Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort from Heraklion airport?

Hi SESUK there is no truth in coaches from Malia at all.

Malia has better and larger beaches anyway. It is worlds apart.

We drove to Malia on a quad last year , it's about a ten min drive and when we got there it was dead, it was 12 noon and all the 18-30 crowd were still in bed so we had a great time on the beach.

You do get the odd visitors to Sissi on a boat trip but it's usually between 2-4pm and it's very rarely the 18-30 crowd as they are still in bed.

Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
702 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which resort from Heraklion airport?

Also don't be set on substituting a pool for the ocean for swimming this early in the season. Most resorts do not heat their pool so the water will be quite cool and not comfortable to swim in....

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,489 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which resort from Heraklion airport?

Hi again

I won't swim in the sea this early either!!! Too cold for me - although hubby does swim late April early May :-)