We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete - Place to Stay with Beach and City Access

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Crete – Place to Stay with Beach and City Access

Hello TA community!

My hubby and I are planning our trip to Crete at the end of September for a week arriving to Chania and departing from Iraklion. We are in the process of finding a place to rent (hotel, B&B, villa, or condo) and getting confused with the various options. Hope you can help.

This is our first trip to Crete. We absolutely love to stay somewhere close to a nice beach (walking distance), so we can have a morning swim and than go to explore the city/village/island on the foot and by the car. We narrowed it down to Chania or Rethymno, but not sure if this is a good option. Is there some other places to look at? Help! Thank you.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete – Place to Stay with Beach and City Access

Both towns would be ideal, as long as your first priority isn't visiting the archaeological sites - (in which case you would be better staying at least part of the time towards Heraklion or further east). There is more than enough to see from either of them. I would say that if your priority is a large beach, then Rethymnon edges it, but for natural scenery probably Chania. But both are lovely towns, and both have a bus station hub for easy travel around their respective areas.

Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete – Place to Stay with Beach and City Access

If you want to stay near Chania, look into Chrissi Akti beach. It's only about 3 km from Chania and has a lovely sand beach. There are several hotels/apartments within easy walking distance to beach and very reasonably priced. Have a great trip!

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete – Place to Stay with Beach and City Access

Hi

Rethymnon indeed is the best option of an in town beach. There are several hotels with in walking distance (footstep to be exact) distance, all along the largest beach the island. If you deside to stay in Rethymnon, look for hotels in El.Venizelou or Sof.Venizelou streets. There, are the hotels which are next to the beach and close to the old town of Rethymnon. I have to say also that it has beautiful sunsets from that beach too, so it's not only for your morning swim :o). Amari valley in Rethymnon area is also well known of it's natural beauty.

I have to give credit to Chania also, which is one of the most beautiful towns of Greece, only 40 min by car from Rethymnon. If your priorities are mostly to explore beautiful beaches, gorges and remote villages, Chania might be a better option as you'll be saving more travel time.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crete – Place to Stay with Beach and City Access

Hi there

Seeing as you arrive in Chania and depart from Iraklion, and seeing as Rethymno is halfway between the two, along the New National Road, why not spend 2-3 days in and around Chania and then head east, stay 2-3 days in Rethymno and then make for Iraklion for you departure?

5. Re: Crete – Place to Stay with Beach and City Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:19