We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

Greetings all, lookin for advice on a May trip to western crete;- We are flying to chania, plan to spend 2 nights there, skip off to santorini for 2-3 nights and return to do a tour over 6 nights- wondering if it would be feasible to drive from chania to choro sfakion using car ferries from paleochoro? and is there a preferred way to go clockwise or anti clockwise- keen to visit sougia, elafonissi, falassarna, getting lots of info from forums already, many thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

Hi there

Wouldn't you be much better off combining your Crete time into one more useable lump, rather than spending just one full day in Chania, then going to Santorini and then returning to Crete? Whether you ferry or fly to Santorini, you will need to go from the capital Iraklion, which is a three hour ride east from Chania.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

Personally, I'm not sure whether it is wise to rely on the ferries in May, as it is still early in the season & weather can be a little changeable. The no. of ferries- especially car ferries - is lower than from June onwards. If it was me, I'd do something like drive to Sfakia, get the ferry to maybe Loutro for a day (or a night) as foot passengers. Then you could drive along to Frangokastello & to Plakias, maybe on to Prevelli & back via Spili. This gives you a few days travelling but also the opportunity for a few days in Chania region. Just my view, others' will probably disagree!

& as GB says, think hard about Santorini, it's not a quick detour. Crete is so wonderful & has so much variety that you could very easily occupy all your time here.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,907 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

<<skip off >> This phrase worries me a bit. As the others have said, it's a considerable journey.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

I agree that it makes no sense to split your visit to Crete up: you'll waste too much time checking into and out of hotels and travelling. I'd go to Santorini first, and then settle down in Crete. Or start with Crete and finish in Santorini. Of course, if you've already booked flights...

I don't think you will be able to take your car on the entire south west coast journey. The ferries that take cars don't normally run in May, and even if you did, you can't rely on the ferries in May, as JWugg says. You could follow her suggestion, or alternatively, if you want to see the whole of the south west coast (one of the unforgettable experiences Crete has to offer) leave your car in Chora Sfakion and do the journey without it (it would be expensive to take the car even if you were able to). Stay the night in Paleochora, and come back the same way the following day.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

Most grateful for your responses! This is exactly the feedback I needed.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

Good idea Alabastron, the only drawback I see is that there is only one connection from

Aghia Roumeli down to Sougia & Paleochora at 5.30. So you don`t get into Paleochora

until about 7.00 in the evening. You would have to have a room, preferably nearby booked

in advance and you would have to be up early next morning to get the boat back.

Possibly better to stay in Paleochora a couple of nights?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

That's correct, FD, there is just one ferry, and certainly they can stay in Paleochora longer if they want to, but that wouldn't be my choice if I had so little time. If I wanted to stay in that area for a couple of nights what I would probably do is get off the ferry in Sougia and stay there rather than in Paleochora - but that's just my personal preference.

The coast between Chora Sfakion, Agia Roumeli, and Sougia is spectacular; once you leave Sougia you've left the high mountains behind, so that part of the journey, although still beautiful, isn't such a great loss. In my opinion.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

We stay in Sougia every year for 2 or 3 weeks and love it. But we also like Paleochora

and particularly the evenings people watching outside the many bars and restaurants

when the traffic is restricted at 7.00pm.

Plakias, Greece
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

Hi, why not take the bus from Chania to Palaeochora (or Sougia), so you would be free to take whatever boat or ferry you want on whatever day you want. You also could stay a day in Loutro, or take a boat to Marmara, both places you can stay the night. And then just rent a car in Chora Sfakia and drive on on the south coast. Just an other idea.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,428 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tour western crete with car - chania, paleochoro, chorosfak

>Just an other idea.<

And a very good one. A car on the south west coast between Paleochora and Loutro will just be an expensive encumbrance.

Maybe rent a car for a day while you're in Chania, if you want to visit Elafonissi and/or Falassarna.