We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elafonisi - lockers?

Washington DC...
14 posts
Save Topic
Elafonisi - lockers?

Hello again Crete Experts,

I was wondering if anyone can confirm whether or not Elafonisi has lockers to store a couple of backpacks? I found one website which says that they do, but could someone give me more peace of mind that they actually do? I've been planning a Crete trip for a few months now, and I'm still considering doing a day trip to Elafonisi, but it would only work if we could store our bags while we spend time exploring the beach. I believe I've exhausted all car hire possibilities, as they all seem to be way too expensive to do a Chania pickup and Paleochora dropoff, so we would take the bus from Chania in the morning and then the boat to Paleochora in the afternoon. The next few days will be spent in the Loutro area, which is why we won't be going back to Chania.

Also, I've seen some pictures of Elafonisi with a lot of people on the beach (see link below, picture is about 2/3 down). Does anyone know how crowded the beach will be the first week of June. If we did go, we'd be there June 3, which is a Tuesday.

chania-crete-greece.com/elafonissi-chania-cr…

As always, thank you for your time and input!

Chris

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,490 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elafonisi - lockers?

I can't say for sure what facilities there are at Elafonisi, but I would say the following:

I've never seen any lockers to store stuff at any beach in Greece. The use of the term 'lockers' may mean changing cubicles - not somewhere to store your packs. So I would be wary of whether there are any true lockers there - hopefully someone else with more experience of Elafonisi can say one way or the other, and hopefully I will be proved wrong.

If it's somewhere to store your main luggage, you may find a taverna willing to do that, as long as you buy a meal from them of course! If it's somewhere to store all your valuables while you go swimming, then clearly that wouldn't work.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 15:37
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elafonisi - lockers?

I do not think there are lockers. We have been in May and September, September being busier. The buses arrive around 10:00 from Chania. I do not think the school break starts till latter in June so it should not be too packed. If the main beach is too busy for you go to the island, there will be fewer people. We have stayed a day or two each time which I recommend and would solve your locker problem.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elafonisi - lockers?

Hi there

I have never seen anything like a locker at the beach, as Steve says, I have never seen lockers on any beach in Crete

UK
Level Contributor
368 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elafonisi - lockers?

The only 'lockers' as such I've seen on the beach on any Greek island were attached to loungers in front of a beach bar in either Paleochora or Agia Galini, ( it was 2-3 years ago and as we stay in several places over the holiday, it's hard to remember exactly where, but the beach was pebbly!! ) but they were only large enough for valuables such as money, keys and a camera. I can remember thinking at the time what a good idea it was!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
784 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elafonisi - lockers?

Why not stay a couple of nights in Paleochora and visit by boat from there.

It is possible to get the first bus (at the moment 05.15) and be there by 07.00.

Book a room in advance, drop your stuff off have breakfast and jump on the boat.

The only thing to check is whether the boat to Elafonissi runs every day in early June,

but this problem would be equally relevant if you were just relying on a boat back from

Elafonisi. Try ringing or e-mailing one of the Paleochora travel agencies.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elafonisi - lockers?

Why don't you just hire a car for the time you're in Crete. Won't you eventually have to return to Chania?

And, as FDswansea says, spend a couple nights in Paleochora and go to Elafonissi from there. I got there very early from Paleochora on a recent visit and the beach was beautiful when it was empty. We left around 11 and there were many cars and buses on their way in.

If the car ferry is running, you can get to Loutro or Sfakia for your time there.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
784 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elafonisi - lockers?

The only thing to point out here is that if you have a car, can you leave it in Loutro?

There are no roads though it may be possible to park it somewhere near the quay,

otherwise you would have to leave it in Sfakia and double back to Loutro.

Perhaps someone here knows the answer?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elafonisi - lockers?

1. There is no place to park a car in Loutro.

2. I am not sure that the car ferries will be running between Paleochora, Sougia, and Agia Roumeli in the first week of June. If they aren't, you can't do what Zakrosian suggests. (And if they are, and you could, it would be quite expensive.)

I can't rememeber when they started last year, but I think it was mid-June: JeanCrete may know.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 12:58
Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elafonisi - lockers?

Another option would be to drive from Paleochora to Sfakia. I had to do that when the Daskalogiannis was grounded the week before I got to Paleo. It turned out to be a rewarding disappointment as I otherwise wouldn't have experienced the ride through the White Mountains and those great switchbacks leading to Sfakia.

And Sfakia made a very good base for that part of the island. Not as photogenic as Loutro, but still very a very attractive little town with a great selection of restaurants and very inexpensive hotels. There are also some interesting attractions nearby - Anapoli, that quirky little WW2 museum and Frangocastello. The hike to Loutro from Sfakia, or Sweetwater Beach, is also spectacular.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elafonisi - lockers?

Sfakia is a good base for touring (Loutro probably a better one for walking). I've assumed that the OP doesn't want to hire a car, and if that's so, the suggestion to take the bus from Chania to Paleochora and the morning boat (if running) to Elafonisi is the best so far - and solves the original problem of where to leave the backpacks.

Staying in Paleochora overnight after Elafonisi (or longer if wished) and doing the spectacular coastal ferry journey via Sougia and Agia Roumeli to Loutro (or Chora Sfakion) would make for an unforgettable trip.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 15:51