We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few hours between Gournes and Malia? Kastelli? Beach?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
A few hours between Gournes and Malia? Kastelli? Beach?

I would appreciate suggestions for lunch and places to schedule a few hours between Gournes and Malia. We will be visiting the Malia archeological site late in the afternoon.

Would a detour to Moni Eleousa and the Skotino Cave be worthwhile?

How about Kastelli? (Any frescoed churches nearby?)

Since it will be early May, is there a beach where we could hang out and have a seaside lunch instead?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Skotino Cave
Skotino Cave
67 Reviews
Crete, Greece
May Hotel
May Hotel
147 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A few hours between Gournes and Malia? Kastelli? Beach?

Hi not an expert on sight seeing but Ithere is a lovely beach just past the archeological site on the left side with one taverna very popular with the local Greeks . The drive from gournes to malia is pleasant along the coast and not demanding. A drive up to mochas up from stalis is worth it to a tradional Greek village or milatos area and the caves. Hope this is of some help .

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A few hours between Gournes and Malia? Kastelli? Beach?

Hi not an expert on sight seeing but Ithere is a lovely beach just past the archeological site on the left side with one taverna very popular with the local Greeks . The drive from gournes to malia is pleasant along the coast and not demanding. A drive up to mochas up from stalis is worth it to a tradional Greek village or milatos area and the caves. Hope this is of some help .

Edited: 18 February 2014, 22:51
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,779 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few hours between Gournes and Malia? Kastelli? Beach?

I'm not sure what it is you're going to see in Gournes?? Maybe the Aquarium? Or Nirou (which is in Kokkini Hani and from my experience hardly ever open!) Or maybe Amnissos (which is nearer the airport)?

Anyway, the inland villages are quite pleasant and very rural. Elia/Elea is probably my favourite, along with old (Pano) Gouves.

Skotini cave commands a good position high up above the coast, near the village of Skotino, and has a very grand entrance chamber. I wouldn't venture any further unless you are competent cavers. There is also a small chapel (Agia Paraskevi) on the same site.

Beach-wise, the biggest beach in the area is on the western outskirts of Kokkini Hani, near where the old and new highways run almost together. I've always been confused as to its actual name, but I believe it's most often called Arina beach (or sometimes Stavromenos or Karteros).

However, in my opinion one of the best beaches in the whole area is the one just a couple of hundred metres from ancient Malia!

Mentioned in this post
Kokkini Hani
Kokkini Hani
Crete, Greece
Arina Beach Hotel & Bungalows
Arina Beach Hotel...
1,161 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few hours between Gournes and Malia? Kastelli? Beach?

HI there

Yes agree with Steve that the beach nearly next to the ancient Malia site is lovely :-)

Another place to consider stopping off for perhaps lunch is the lovely village of Milatos, there are some very good tavernas right by the sea - our favorite is No Stress, have a look at the web site links for more information

greece.com/photos/…58137593

www.explorecrete.com/crete-east/milatos.html

Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Milatos
Milatos
Crete, Greece
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few hours between Gournes and Malia? Kastelli? Beach?

Thank you, everyone! These are very good suggestions.

Steve, you nailed it - we're starting our day early at the aquarium. It's being planned out as a more relaxed day, ending with a late afternoon visit of the archeological site at Malia. The village of Elea and a stop at the cave sounds great for right after the aquarium. It's a small area, so we won't mind zigzagging a bit.

No Stress and the beach near Malia also sound great!

Edited: 19 February 2014, 13:14
Mentioned in this post
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few hours between Gournes and Malia? Kastelli? Beach?

Hi there

I'd certainly second either Sissi or Milatos as place to enjoy a lunch time stopover, both are very pretty with milatos being the more laid back.

Some photos..

flickr.com/photos/…

if you did decide to venture up to the beautiful mountain village of Mohos....

flickr.com/photos/…

Mentioned in this post
Sissi
Sissi
Crete, Greece
Milatos
Milatos
Crete, Greece
7. Re: A few hours between Gournes and Malia? Kastelli? Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:18