We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peaceful crete holiday desired....

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Peaceful crete holiday desired....

I would appreciate if someone can please advise me about visiting Crete this May. I am thinking of flying to Chania airport.

This would be my first time visiting Greece. I would like a relaxing holiday, somewhere in a beautiful natural setting, close to a nice, quiet beach. But also with some nice cafes or places to eat. I would prefer somewhere that feels relaxing and peaceful rather than really built up and touristy. However, I would like some things going on also, nice cafes, places to eat, etc. I enjoy walking for easy short walks, so somewhere nice to walk around would be good.

Also somewhere that is suitable for single travellers would be good.

I would also consider staying a week in one place and a week in another, or a variation of that.

Chania town looks nice, and I think it may be nice to stay there for a night or two at the start or end of my trip. I would prefer to be able to stay in the place I stay at and limit the amount of really long distance travel ( ie over an hour)because I have a old injury which makes long road journeys not good. So summing up, a nice relaxing, peaceful holiday, with a good beach and some nice local walking, good cafes, easy going atmosphere.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peaceful crete holiday desired....

I think it's very difficult to find somewhere quiet yet busy, if you know what I mean!

Chania town is lovely, but it is of course a town, and the beaches aren't going to be quiet.

The places which I think might suit you are Georgioupolis and Kalives. Both are on the way to Rethymnon, Kalives is quite a bit nearer to Chania than G'opolis.

Kalives is more of a working village with a beach and some tourists. G'opolis is a tourist village, set on a lovely and very long beach, and with a lovely village square which I believe is now closed off to traffic in the evenings. Both are OK for onward bus travel, but G'opolis is very convenient indeed - just 5 minutes from the main road where buses go to Heraklion, Rethymnon and Chania.

Both are a lot more low-key than Chania, but wherever you stay, please make sure you do visit Chania a few times. There is a lot to see there.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peaceful crete holiday desired....

I think most places will be fairly quiet in May when the tourist season is only just starting, certainly nowhere will be heaving. Another possibility could be Paleochora on the south coast which is a relaxed place with two good beaches and plenty of tavernas, nothing tacky.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Peaceful crete holiday desired....

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will look into those places you suggest.

I am not looking for somewhere busy, just to clarify, rather some place low key with a few places to eat, shop etc. Quiet but with not in the middle of nowhere, because I would like to be able to spend time close to where I am staying, without a lot of travelling.

Thank you for the tip about Chania town, I think it looks nice, and will be interesting to visit from a low key holiday.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Peaceful crete holiday desired....

Thank you bristolians for your suggestions, I will look into those places.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Peaceful crete holiday desired....

I was looking recently at some places in west crete, do you know what that area is like ?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peaceful crete holiday desired....

Western Crete is a big place (and with a variety of atmospheres!) :-) Which places were you looking at?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,708 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peaceful crete holiday desired....

Well, all the places we have described are in western Crete lol, so if you could say what you've been looking at then we can advise you.

BTW, although Paleochora does fit the bill as far as your resort requirements are concerned, it is quite a bit more than an hour to travel there from Chania town (or the airport for that matter), certainly by bus. It's about 45 miles, through mountainous countryside.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peaceful crete holiday desired....

Duplicate post, sorry!

Edited: 26 February 2014, 20:12
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Peaceful crete holiday desired....

Thanks Steve,

Any idea how long it would take by bus or car to travel there?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Peaceful crete holiday desired....

Mavoros Molos on the edge of Kastelli, do you know this area?