We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One-day tour to Chania from Heraklion

Singapore
Level Contributor
102 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
One-day tour to Chania from Heraklion

My husband & I will be arriving in Heraklion by ferry from Athens. We are thinking of getting a taxi tour to visit Chania and get back to Heraklion in the evening for overnight stay. We intend to go Santorini the next morning.

Any recommendations for taxi tour?

Is "Arkadi - Rethymno - Chania" do-able in 1 day?

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One-day tour to Chania from Heraklion

How many days would you be in Crete?

I suppose it's possible, but it would be a long day - I heard of a guy who rented a motorcycle and went from Chania to Chora Sfakia to Matala to Sitia then through Agios Nikolaos, Heraklion and Rethymnon, and then back to Chania in one day. He didn't stop anywhere.

I think it would also be very expensive by taxi.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,066 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One-day tour to Chania from Heraklion

You may have looked into the price already, but if not, perhaps I should tell you that the one-way taxi fare from Heraklion to Chania is about €150. I don't know how much it would cost to hire a taxi and do the trip you describe, but I would say it would be €500++ for the whole day - which may be fine for you, of course.

If you leave Heraklion in a taxi at, say, 0900, you could be in Arkadi by 1015. Spend an hour there, arrive in Rethymnon by 1200 at the latest. Stay there 2 hours, drive to Chania, arrive Chania at about 1500, stay there 3 hours then 2 hours back to Heraklion arriving at about 2000.

So, it would be doable, but you wouldn't have much time for more than a short look round each of the lovely towns, and a quick meal in one of them. But that's better than not seeing them at all!

Have you considered just going to one of the towns, by bus? It would be a lot less expensive, and there is a very good bus service between Heraklion-Rethymnon-Chania, and the 'buses' are large air-conditioned coaches, very comfortable:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

That is the winter timetable, there will be a few more in summer - when are you coming?

Edited: 26 March 2014, 14:39
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One-day tour to Chania from Heraklion

I think the Steve has provided pretty good advice. The bus service is regular and quite efficient. I would think that focusing your plan on one destination would allow you to get the most out of your day, so either plan to go to Rethymnon or Chania and just enjoy the experience. Here are images of Chania.

Chania

flickr.com/photos/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One-day tour to Chania from Heraklion

Have you considered spending the day in and around Heraklion? There is a great deal to see there: the city itself, its impressive Venetian harbour and buildings, and of course Knossos and the Archaeological Museum. Unless you desperately want to see Chania above all other places (and I can see why you might: it's a lovely city) I think this would make better use of your very limited time.

The others have made excellent suggestions, but they all involve a lot of time sitting in a taxi, and spending lots of money.

5. Re: One-day tour to Chania from Heraklion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:16