We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete to Santorini

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
228 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Crete to Santorini

Me again. Whilst in Crete we would like to do a day trip to Santorini. We are staying in Almyrida. Can you get ferries from Rethymon and Heraklion? We have a car so is it best to take car or leave it parked up somewhere before we go? Also any idea on cost? I would pressime as it is in high season that it would be best to pre-book. Should I do this in the UK or best to wait until we are in Crete?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete to Santorini

Hi there

You can certainly take a day trip from Rethymno, cost is around €130 per person and you don't get that much time on Santorini. Almyrida is much closer to Rethymno than Iraklion but even so, it is a fair ride so your best option will be to book an organised tour otherwise you will be mucking about with buses to and from Rethymno. An organised tour will include coach collection at or close to your accommodation.

You won't be able to take a car, most rental agencies won't allow inter-island travel with it. I would leave booking until you arrive in the resort

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,730 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete to Santorini

Before you decide...

According to your other thread, there are five of you. At €130 apiece that is going to be a very expensive day out! You will have very little time in Santorini. And the "thing" about Santorini (I mean what everyone raves about) is the sunset, which you won't see because you'll be on your way back to Rethymnon long before it happens.

Are you sure it's worth it?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
228 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete to Santorini

Is that the price booking through an organised tour? I went to Santorini some 30 years ago and have always wanted to return. From memory there wasn't too much to do, will be quite happy just to wander streets and have some lunch and enjoy that fantastic view. How many hours do you recon you will get there?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
228 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crete to Santorini

Im rethinking maybe a long weekend at another time would be better. As you say we would miss the sunset. Would want to make the most of our time there and I'd we book far enough in advance I'm sure we could get agood deal. Thanks for your help.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crete to Santorini

Hi again

The only worthwhile way of seeing Santorini from Crete is to take the ferry one day, stay overnight, and return the following day. But even the return ride on the catamaran is expensive, especially when times'd by five and you still have to take into account the cost of a nights accommodation on Santorini. I think your plan to leave it for another time is a good one, Crete has so much on offer and it would be a pity to dilute your time with a long and expensive side trip.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
228 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crete to Santorini

Yes we have decided not to. We are hiring a car and intend to travel around a lot. We are not the type that can sit still. Love these forums they are so helpful and informative. Thank you.

Limassol
Level Contributor
88 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crete to Santorini

Here is the link for the heraklion Santorini ferries

www.ferries.gr/cruises/flying_cat_4.htm

8. Re: Crete to Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 06:15