We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Village hopping

Peraloukko
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Village hopping

I am planning to make three weeks village hopping by bus in July in Crete. I have been many, many holidays near Chania, and now I have also flights to / from Chania, but which villages are more autentigh Crete? Is it easy to find room if I just come to the village and start to ask the room? Or must I book the room in advance?

What I hope about the village? I Don`t know... Village, where must be a supermarket/ minimarket, taverna, room with AC and refridgerator and balcony could be very nice. I have diabetes, so those places where I can get food are very important. Because this time I travel alone I cant use hiring car, so nice places where I can walk near villages could be fine.

Thank you any advice!

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Village hopping

Hi,

Take a look at the village of Spili, half way from Rethymnon to Agia Galini. Easy accessible by the bus, very interesting place and it has all that you would ask. Mini markets, cafeterias, tavernas, souvenir shops, pharmacy shop, a bank and I think post office too. The fountains are it's big attraction.

The more inland you go the more authentic you get. It has many choices of accomodation. It's always better to book in advance, as usually only near the beaches there is a vacany problem.

By the way did you enjoy last year, the magiritsa? :o)

Edited: 08 April 2014, 22:03
Peraloukko
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Village hopping

Jasas gerlion!

Yes, I am planning to go to east side of Crete, and Spili could be a good place for a few days. Thank you!

The magiitsa which I ate last year in Paleohora, wasn`t so tasty that I remembed, but next time, when I will come to Greece at eastern I will test it again. This year I will come to Crete at Eastern day, so I believe, that I will not get magiritsa anymore...

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Village hopping

Spili is great, and try to get accomodation at Heracles rooms. Heracles himself is a great source of information about the area.

Zaros is also worth a visit. Try the local trout and have a hike in the gorge.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Village hopping

Yassas Nukkumatti.

I'm glad you like the idea of Spili.

I am not a fan of magiritsa myself too! :o) I hope it's better the next time you'll be here

Good call about Zaros from Periscope too the trouts are delicious indeed. Take also a look at the hotel Alexander in Gerakari, which is at the valley of Amari, which is quite luxourious, but it has very good rates.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 20:12
5. Re: Village hopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:16