We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused Now-Hania, Iraklio and Rethymo

NYC
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Confused Now-Hania, Iraklio and Rethymo

Hi there, my husband and I have 3 nights in Crete, taking the ferry into HER, arriving at 18:30. I was thinking about staying in Agios Nikolaos because I thought my husband would not want to make the trip out to Chania, but he is ok with it.

Now I am not sure where to go.

I've been reading too many posts and sites that I am now very confused! Any suggestions? We are late 30s/40, no children, prefer luxury accommodations. This is my husbands first time in Greece and I want to show him beautiful beaches, but he does not like to spend all day/ everyday on the beach so some sightseeing would be ok. Prefer hotels walking distance to town, and where there is a hospital not too far (just in case, for my severe food allergies).

Should I settle in the middle then around Rethymo (hospital there?)

I apologize for being so broad, and I know its also dependent on individual tastes etc.

Thank you for your help.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,387 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused Now-Hania, Iraklio and Rethymo

Hi there

Ok Agios Nikolaos would tick all your boxes, and so would Rethymnon too... So why don't you check the web site below decide if during your holiday you want to visit any sites ? E.g Island if Spinalonga , Knossos etc,as you are only staying for three days you don't want to be travelling to far and waste your days driving....you can then stay near the sites....

http://www.explorecrete.com

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused Now-Hania, Iraklio and Rethymo

There is a hospital in Rethymnon, and I've been told it's a very good, modern one, though I've no personal experience. It's not far from the gate to the Old Town, opposite the Municipal Gardens. There's also a local medical centre along the sea front.

rethymnon.biz/Reth/…health.htm

rethymnomedicalassistance.com/medical/en/hom…

The beach at Rethymnon is beautiful, and stretches for miles. However, the type of hotel which I imagine could be called "luxurious" are a few miles to the east, and pretty isolated. There are a number of boutique hotels within the Old Town, which is a great place to stay, but it's then a 20 minute stroll to the beach.

There are a number of nice looking hotels along the beach road; they get very good reviews, but I don't know how they score on the luxury front. They're a walk into the Old Town, but you can walk along the promenade.

I think you'd be better looking inside the Old Town, where you can wander round any time you feel like it, and there are over a hundred tavernas to pick from.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused Now-Hania, Iraklio and Rethymo

Rethymnon old town is lovely. Do some searching for the type of hotels you want. perhaps to kick off your investigations

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g189421-Rethymnon_R…

I suffer from severe allergies, and needed emergency treatment in Rethymnon after standing on what turned out to be a mildly poisonous, but very painful fish in the sea (however, at the time I didn't know what it was, or how badly I would react). I was visiting for the day from Chania at the time.

A taxi got me there in a few minutes, and I was seen very quickly. Although the reception staff didn't speak brilliant English, there was a great English-speaking doctor on duty, who understood the possibility of anaphylaxis. He treated me quickly and thoroughly, and I was there until he was sure everything was out of a danger zone.

However, facilities were pretty basic. No private areas for treatment - the treatment room I was in had a few people all being treated at once. My other half had to go out to a pharmacy in the immediate vicinity to buy all the drugs and the IV fluid. That said, it was very cheap! The staff seemed overworked and under-staffed, and the unit seems to double as a family GP surgery. However, the emergencies were prioritised. I didn't have to pay for the service itself, as it was covered under my European Health Card. I spent a number of hours on a drip in a public waiting area - not so much different from here then!!

In summary, I could not fault the doctor I saw. He was completely over-stretched, but our communication was good, he had a great sense of humour (he must need it!), took my medical history, and he knew exactly what to do - I was reassured by this.

In Chania

http://www.chaniahospital.gr/en_contact.jsp

http://chaniaclinic.com/en/emergency

Heraklion hospitals mentioned here

www.interkriti.org/crete/?category=f2health

NYC
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused Now-Hania, Iraklio and Rethymo

thank you all

5. Re: Confused Now-Hania, Iraklio and Rethymo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 05:15