We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No residential address in Crete?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
No residential address in Crete?

I booked a villa through Agni Travel for our trip to Crete and was given a turn by turn instruction to the place. When I called the agency, I was told that Crete does not use address on homes and only applies to businesses or residences in the city. Is this true? I need an address to input in our GPS and looking at the turn by turn instructions at night could be challenging (even dangerous since the area is unfamiliar to us)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,387 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No residential address in Crete?

HI there

Yes that it is true, that not all houses have addresses as perhaps we would know them, for example they might say "the house opposite the sign post" I am sure if the road was that dangerous the villa hire company would be making you aware of this, especially if they know that it is a late arrival and you will be arriving in the dark.

I don't use a GPS when travelling in Crete and really don't have a problem, the roads that are tarmac are generally very good condition and the road signs are in both Greek and English so its not that difficult travelling around the island :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No residential address in Crete?

Thanks! Just thought it was a bit odd since I've always had a mindset that homes need address. We will just follow the instructions then and hope we get there. I am sure the roads in Crete are generally safe. The danger I was refering to would be driving and looking down at the instructions at the same time. It could become a distraction especially driving at night. :)

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No residential address in Crete?

There are street names in some larger towns & in cities, but not in most villages. In some villages, houses have numbers, but these are often mixed up, as they are added as the village grows.

Don't bother to try to follow GPS! The instructions sent by the villa company will have been written locally & will be accurate, telling you to turn at landmarks (such as dustbins etc!)

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: No residential address in Crete?

Villas can be a pain in the...head, indeed.

what you've been told about the addresses is partially true, when it comes up to a village in the country side. Some roads have names, some doesn't but even those who have most probably won't be mapped by name in the GPS softwares anyway!

We have a saying here in Greece that quotes (literally) that: "By asking, you go to the city", describing how a villager would head and drive around into a big city that he haven't been before, in the past. Nowadays, i guess it goes the other way around.

So, don't panic, use the GPS to head to the area where the village is (i.e. the village of Plaka in Apokoronas area of Chania prefecture) and as you'd reach your main destination follow the instrunctions given.

In the end, if you got lost momentarily, it would really become a holiday to remember! (just joking)

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No residential address in Crete?

Does you satnav have the facility of setting a destination using "browse map"? If all the roads in the directions are on the map, then just follow them on the satnav map and stick a pin, or whatever, for the destination.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No residential address in Crete?

Thanks all for the reassurance! We have managed to go unto google map to try to pinpoint where the villa is, wrote it in the satnav and praying its the right place :) If we get lost, Kostas, it will definitely be a story to tell for our vacation. We are making sure to stick a pin on the villa once we arrive.

7. Re: No residential address in Crete?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:17