We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Crete looking for 18day itinerary recs

Italy
Level Contributor
546 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
First time Crete looking for 18day itinerary recs

Hi

I am going to be flying to Chania on 16 Aug and out on 3 September and aside from 2 days at each end of the holiday in Chania old town, I am looking for some recommendations for my two weeks between.

I will be hiring a small car and thought about renting a small apartment in 2 or 3 small towns/villages at various points around the coast (not really going inland, unless there's something of historical interest within a few km of the coast) and then venturing out daily in the car to nearby beaches for swimming and walking etc. Ideally the 2 or 3 small towns I use for my base would have a friendly atmosphere, with a few traditional tavernas, small supermarket etc for daily supplies.

Ideally I want to avoid any larger, touristy towns and just get to see some lesser frequented and quiet places. In fact for the daily excursions there doesn't even have to be any town or village to visit as long as there's a nice, maybe isolated, beach or coastal stretch with some good water for swimming possibly, and relaxing.

As Crete's a fair size I suppose I'll be focusing on the east of the island; I don't want to spend too much time in the car on the days when I'm not changing base apartment..

So, that's about the long and short of it: can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks for any forthcoming,

Mike

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
911 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Crete looking for 18day itinerary recs

You write "I suppose I'll be focusing on the east of the island" but you are flying to and from Chania. That seems a little illogical to me if you don't want to drive too much.

Italy
Level Contributor
546 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Crete looking for 18day itinerary recs

Hi, yes, my bad. I meant WEST.

M

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,752 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Crete looking for 18day itinerary recs

If I was you travelling into Chania, I'd probably be considering the west/southwest, and thinking about Kastelli-Kissamos (small coastal working town, with some great little traditional tavernas) possibly and/or (if you don't mind the drive south/mountains) Paleochora/Sougia. Even if not those particular places, somewhere around there, plenty quieter beach to go at, especially if you have a car - save yourself a lot of driving :-)

explorecrete.com/crete-west/EN-kissamos-kast…

http://www.thepaleochorasite.com/

http://www.sougia.info/

Edited: 18 May 2014, 19:38
4. Re: First time Crete looking for 18day itinerary recs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 06:17