We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete or....?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Crete or....?

Hello! I'm going on my honeymoon next month.. full 2 wks in Greece. We will definitely do Mykonos and Santorini... and Athens for night or 2. Debating on adding an additional island. Crete... or maybe Naxos? Biggest differences? Is this too much to do in 2 wks for a honeymoon? We want to relax, enjoy great beaches, amazing food, local shopping... and some drinks along the way :)

I know Mykonos and Santorini are the biggest tourist spots so thinking another island might give us more of a secluded/romantic beach atmosphere? But I'm hesitant in adding an additional location due to travel time etc.

Any help is appreciated!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete or....?

Hi.

If you are looking for a romantic honeymoon, then In my opinion, give Crete a miss.

I holidayed in Crete last year and absolutely loved the place. However Crete is a very large island with few resorts which would fall into the "quiet romantic" description. Elounda is very popular with coach loads of visitors wanting to visit Spinalonga.

Frankly, stick to the smaller islands and soak up Greek hospitality (second to none) and enjoy the sun, sea and sand.

Sorry Crete, I can't wait to return, but I don't believe this traveller will have time to take in all that you have to offer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete or....?

Hey and welcome freckles510:-) Crete is indeed humongous.. a destination on it's own.. without a specific destination in mind, would definitely give it a skip this time around;-)

Naxos would make for a great contrast.. and conveniently located as well and on a popular route! With 2 *full* weeks, would look to fly straight out to an isle upon arrival off the trans.. you'll be at the airport anyway.. no backtracking and huge timesaver.. save Athens for your finale when you'll be ready to take it on with all the walking, climbing involved.. as well as ensuring your long haul flight back to the States;-) No better place to de-lag and get into zone than an isle:-)

Check www.aegeanair.com/ www.olympicair.com/ who have merged.. you can fly to either Mykonos or Santorini to start.. whichever flight works best with your arrival;-) If you fly to Santorini.. you can ferry to Naxos.. then ferry to Mykonos.. then either fly or ferry back to Athens:-) Same vice-versa.. check www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ for ferry schedules;-)

Whether to add an isle or not is really up to you.. your travel style along with your prefs/priorities rule:-) If you want a more relaxed, laid back experience, then stick to the 2 isles.. if you are more 'movers'.. don't mind moving around every 3 -4 days or so, then go ahead and add Naxos.. it does have wonderful beaches, lovely traditional villages.. and will make for a good contrast/comparison to the 2 popular isles;-)

Would get crackin' on the planning if you plan on heading out next month! Lots of the more luxe properties do tend to book up fast so you may have some digging to do depending on where you choose to stay on each isle.. and budget.. most especially at the 2 popular isles;-) Congrats.. and Happy Honeymoon planning.. always EnJOY!

Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete or....?

I have a few suggestions. Leave Santorini for last and stay on the caldera side. Santorini is not a good beach destination. I have gone there three times and have always stayed in Oia town. I would suggest a property with a pool. I have stayed at Strogli House and loved it. The food is great in Oia. I would suggest three or four nights here. Mykonos will be lovely in June- not too crowded but warm enough to swim. There are many lovely resorts here. It is important to know your budget constraints. Some are really pricey. I liked Mykonos a lot. Their sunsets from the little Venice area are lovely. I think Mykonos is a good honeymoon destination. Since you are interested in beaches, Naxos is a good choice. The three islands are easy to get to by ferry. I would suggest flying to Mykonos, ferrying between islands, and flying from Santorini to Athens. I have truly come to love Crete. If you need to watch your budget carefully, I would suggest replacing Mykonos and Naxos with Crete. Your dollar goes a long way here.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crete or....?

Thanks for the advice!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crete or....?

Our pleasure:-) Let us know how the planning goes.. keep enjoyin'!

6. Re: Crete or....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16