We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to relax for a week?

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Where to relax for a week?

Me, husband and 19 year old son want to spend a week relaxing and spending time together. Flying into Heraklion and want to rent a villa with private pool. Ideally not on a complex but on its own. But where is a good location?

We like to laze by the pool, enjoy trying nice restaurants, visiting historic sites and the beach! We will hire a car. We have never been to Greece before, which is quite amazing as we have travelled extensively, time to put that right!!

Any suggestions please?

Spinalonga (Kalydon)
Islands, Historic Sites
Ancient City of Phaistos
Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites
Lato
Historic Sites, Ancient Ruins
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to relax for a week?

Hi there

There are lots of places that would tick all your boxes..but I would suggest you check out the following: ....Agios Nikolaos, Elounda or Sissi ...Agios and Elounda are around 50'min drive from the airport, ( and next to each other ) while Sissi is around 30 mins .

Once you decide on a location and villa do come back to the forum for recommendations of places to visit and tavernas etc :-) have fun researching :-)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to relax for a week?

Forgot to add the Greek town of Rethymnon to your list too....in the opposite direction... And around about an hour from the airport too ....:-)

Chester
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to relax for a week?

Hi,

totally agree with MG and Elounda is beautiful.

Keith.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to relax for a week?

Thanks MG and Keith, will research and come back!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to relax for a week?

Hi again,

Have really done lots of research over the last few days and am considering a beautiful villa in a town called Margarites. About 12 kilometres from coast. Elounda was a bit expensive on the villa front.

Do you know this area?

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
22,107 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to relax for a week?

I am sure DE Gerlion will have a few tips for the area ;-) (Margarites is on our list to visit this summer)

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to relax for a week?

Hi all

I believe you should take a look at this site: http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/ which is all about renting villas.

Have a look at the village of Prines which is 15 min from Rethymnon, and some of the villas have panoramic sea view of the sea and the White Mountains. I have been to some of the villas there and are really good. I don't know any in Margarites.

Good choice Jock, there is a tradition of pottery manufacture there. You are making your upcoming trip better and better.

8. Re: Where to relax for a week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:16