We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on where to stay - not too touristy

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on where to stay - not too touristy

Hi, looking to book a holiday and we would like to try Crete. We have only been to Paleochora before, and although I loved the place I wasn't keen on the taxi ride from airport, too long, difficult to get someone to take you and it made me travel sick and I have never experienced that before.

so where to go? We are not in to the busy tourist areas, we want pretty areas with beaches nearby and to be able to do a bit of exploring during the day on foot or by bus (we do not drive), nice restaurants and a bit of entertainment in the evening. Oh and nice wine, I didn't like our choices in Paleochora :-)

Travelling from Manchester.

Thanks in advance

Crete Taxi Services
Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
Heraklion Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles, Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Klados Travel
Archaeology Tours, Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Happy Train
Sightseeing Tours
London
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on where to stay - not too touristy

to add, we will be travelling beginning of July

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,616 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on where to stay - not too touristy

Package tour or travelling independently?

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on where to stay - not too touristy

independently

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
280 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on where to stay - not too touristy

I love the village of Piskopiano. It is about 30 min taxi ride from Her airport and right above Hernossis. The village is very nice and not too touristy but you can walk down the hill to Hernossis (about 20 min) and catch the bus there to anywhere. The walk can be a little tough on the way back as the hill is quite steep and constant. My GF were in our late 30's and it was not a issue at all for us.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on where to stay - not too touristy

I presume, as you didn't say differently, that you will be flying into Heraklion. If so why not think about Sitea. It is a low key resort beyond Aghios Nikolaos and well away from the excesses of certain 'resorts' I could mention. Easy to get to by bus from Heraklion which takes just over 3 hours. If you arrive in Crete in the evening you will need to stay a night in Heraklion before getting the bus the next morning. Bus info here bus-service-crete.com/timetabledet.php…

Have a dig around on the net to see if it would suit you and if it does I can recommend the Sitia Bay Hotel which has excellent beach facing studio apartments which are serviced daily. Link here http://www.sitiabay.com/

If of course you will be flying into Chania don't even think about Sitea but come back and ask again about where to stay in the west od the island.

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on where to stay - not too touristy

thanks all. no airport has been decided yet so we are open to suggestions. I will look in to both places mentioned so thanks for that.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on where to stay - not too touristy

If you're flying from Manchester, the only day you can fly to Chania is Tuesday, MON THO and maybe SPA/Germania. Flying to Heraklion you have far more options, including EJ and Jet2 along with the usual suspects, and almost every day - most on Tues and Fri.

8. Re: Advice on where to stay - not too touristy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 06:15