We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
20,606 posts
335 reviews
Save Topic
Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

and Festos? I am just putting together my final idea's for a two day trip and whilst I can roughly see the distance on a map I just wondered roughly what the driving time between two sites would be.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

Half an hour. Try Google maps to calculate driving times. I find them rather reliable. http://tinyurl.com/p2p3qmb

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,606 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

That's great thanks (I prefer asking people who have driven the routes when it comes to rural area's rather than google maps etc.living in the Highlands of Scotland some of the estimates surprise me a little haha)

sligo
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

Not that it makes too much of difference I would say it is less than the half hour, closer to 15 - 20 minutes, Gortys is on the main road and when you do take the turn off for Phaistos you are on the main Matala road which is also in good repair. It is as straight forward a drive as you can get on Crete.

If you have a bit of extra time you have two additional sites near each of your stops. The Villa of Agia Triada is a 2 minute drive from Phaistos and worth a visit if you have not seen before and across the road from Gortys is the old Roman town of the same name.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,606 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

Thanks for the tips bobo, from there we are heading for the Amari Valley so it's great to know as much as I can before we go, so that we have options on route :-)

sligo
Level Contributor
668 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

You are in for a real treat, then having being to Crete already you know this.

Have a look at the link below, there is a lot of images so give them time to load.

Day 5 includes Agia Triada & Phaistos.

Day 15 The Amari Valley.

Day 16 The Roman town of Gortys that I mentioned above.

bobojnr.com/crete-2010-week-1-the-first-8-da…

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,606 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

Thank you so much for the link.....just fantastic and now saved to favourites (I wasn't sure about Phaistos but it is now a must and I also recognised some of the other area's you visited ;-) )

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

I totally agree, Phaistos is a must. To me it was more than Knossos.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

Whilst you are there, it is worth crossing the main road from Phaistos to the village of Vori to visit the small museum of Cretan ethnology. cretanethnologymuseum.gr/imke/…index_en.html

It is utterly fascinating, and pleasantly cool after the heat of Phaistos.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,606 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

Thanks for all the input so far :-)

Although we want to see a lot we also don't want to end just rushing from one place to the next so would rather take our time and miss something out if need be. The plan is to leave Sissi about 0800 which would mean reaching Heraklion about 0830 (not stopping there) and taking the road South with Moni Palliani our first stop. If we were to only visit either Gortys or Phaistos which one should we go for?

From there we will be heading to Ayia Galini for lunch before entering the Amari Valley where we will stay the night.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,606 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rough Driving Time Between Gortys

p.s. we could skip Ayia Galini (although I thought Mrs and Jnr Jock would enjoy lunch by the beach/sea) and instead have a picnic in the Amari Valley somewhere like Kouroutes.