We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agia pelagia

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Agia pelagia

Hello, this will be the first time we have visited crete and we are staying in agia pelagia, just wanted a bit of advice about the place, is it easy to get to different places. Would really like to visit the samaria gorge but not sure if there is any trips from there. Thanks

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agia pelagia

There are trips from virtually everywhere in Crete to Samaria, so yes, you will be able to go.

Buses pass by Agia Pelagia to Heraklion one way, and Rethymnon and Chania the other.

Agia Pelagia is not the most convenient place for bus travel, as the main road is above the resort, in some places only a few hundred metres, other places a lot more. Where are you staying?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agia pelagia

We are staying at the village panorama, not the best place as I will only be a week out of plaster from breaking my leg :-(

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agia pelagia

Looks like Panorama is about 600m from the main road - but a 50m climb. That is if it's where I think it is, which is not where Google earth thinks it is!

About the same distance to Ligharia beach too.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 19:42
england
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agia pelagia

It's a fair old hike down to the beach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agia pelagia

When are you going? Don't even think about walking the Samaria Gorge until your leg is fully back to normal. It's a long, tiring hike, and the first couple of kilometres descend 600 metres down steep, slippery steps. The walk is hard even on young, fit knees.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agia pelagia

Well spotted Alabastron, I'd completely missed that!

Unless there are others in Jenny's party who want to do it.

And spottttt's right as well - it looks like Panorama is almost 100m above sea level - I guess the clue is in the name...

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agia pelagia

Thanks for all the replies, maybe I'm thinking I'm going to be hoping and jumping on hols but I have faced the fact now that I won't be doing a lot anytime soon. I have looked at trying to swap hotels but the price difference is awful.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Agia pelagia

We go beginning of August, we were thinking of hiring mopeds as a way to get round walking up the hills?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Agia pelagia

>we were thinking of hiring mopeds as a way to get round walking up the hills?<

I really don't think that's a very good idea. Motorbike accidents are not unusual in Crete - I've seen some nasty ones myself. Your leg is recovering from being broken: don't ask it to control a motorbike! What will you do if you get into difficulties? What if you skid, and fall over on that side? It doesn't bear thinking about.

August is nearly here. My opinion (you haven't asked for it, but here it is anyway) is that it would be better to postpone your trip to Crete until your leg is completely healed and back to normal, and you can enjoy Crete in the way you clearly would like to be able to.But it's not realistic. If you weren't obviously an active person, if you were the sort of person who might like renting a villa and sitting on the balcony looking at the view, I wouldn't say this. But you clearly are active, so I think it would be better to wait until you can walk as much as you want to, safely.

But if you stick to your August plan, consider renting a car to get around in. Don't ride a motorbike. Be safe. Don't put your already injured leg - or the rest of you - at risk.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 22:40
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Agia pelagia

Just on case you are thinking that when your plaster comes off you will be back to your old self - think again. If you were in plaster for six weeks you will need at least a further six weeks to fully recover the strength of the leg. Doctors don't always tell you this! Have you checked with your travel insurers to see if you can cancel and claim back the cost? If not then resign yourself to a chilled out holiday relaxing and GENTLY exercising your leg to gradually build up its strength - but definitely no hiking or riding scooters.