We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feeling confused about Mt. Ida (Psiloritis)

Jerusalem, Israel
1 post
Save Topic
Feeling confused about Mt. Ida (Psiloritis)

Hi all,

I'll be in Crete in early- mid July and have been doing a lot of research for good hiking opportunities. I saw amazing things about Mt. Ida, but haven't been able to find any logistical information about how to get there, where to stay, level of difficulty etc. (I don't have a car and will be travelling via public transportation).

We are planning on doing Balos Monday (staying in Chania overnight) Samaria Gorge on Tuesday (where we stay that night depends on what we do on Wednesday). We have Wednesday and Thursday free for other hikes and would really love to climb Mt. Ida on one of those days. Friday we catch a ferry to Santorini. Is this reasonable? If so, can anyone please advise on a practical itinerary for Tuesday night onward?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as I have been finding it very difficult to logistically plan climbing Mt. Ida.

Thank you!!

Taxis & Shuttles
Crete Taxi Services
Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Feeling confused about Mt. Ida (Psiloritis)

hi,and welcome to the greek forum! i don't hike but people here suggest to leave the day after samaria gorge free,as you wll probably be too tired..the start of the hike is climbibg down for ever,and that can hurt your knees the next day..,adding a hike the next day sounds like a nightmare..psiloritis is famous for being a rough mountain,i would try something with a guide only,here is one i found by googling in trip advisor,you can ask them for details..it also mentions that the hike to psiloritis is very challenging..

try not to overdo it with hiking,you want to still have energy to walk in santorini.

hope you have a great trip

Edited: 24 June 2014, 15:30
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,048 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feeling confused about Mt. Ida (Psiloritis)

Some info here:

Since you are hiking the Samaria gorge why don't you stay in the White Mountains? You could stay way above the gorge in a mountain refuge for a night or two and hike from there. Do read up on Mt. Gingilos, it may appeal.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feeling confused about Mt. Ida (Psiloritis)

Trying to hike Samaria and Psiloritis in one four-day visit to Crete is a bit much. Quite apart from the need for at least one rest day after Samaria (Athanasios is spot on on the subject of knees), you'll also be looking at a long drive from Chania.

Better to stay in the west, as Andy suggests, and do your mountain hiking there.

If you're backpacking, and carrying everything with you (are you?) several possibilities after Samaria open up.

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feeling confused about Mt. Ida (Psiloritis)

If you are used to hiking and reasonably fit I don't see any problem with having a walk the day after waking Samaria. What could be difficult is accessing Psiloritis without your own car, especially if you are short on time.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 23:00
5. Re: Feeling confused about Mt. Ida (Psiloritis)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:16