We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peaceful

Leeds
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Peaceful

Hi.. can anyone give me some info on Paleochora in Crete... I've been to Stoupa..Aghios Gordios and Parga..Does it resemble any of those places.. they are the type of resort that I am looking for.. Thanks in advance.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peaceful

Hî there

I have stayed in both Agios Gordios and Parga ........ But not Paleochora ..... But If you wanted somewhere similar on the north east coast then do look at Elounda.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peaceful

Hi Alison

I'm going to come in here and give you an answer of sorts. I say an answer of sorts because I haven't been to Stoupa, Ag Gordios or Parga but I have stayed in Paleochora, even if it was some years ago. I presume from the heading Peaceful that you are looking for somewhere like that. It was peaceful when I was there and, despite whatever development and growth there has been since, I imagine that it would be still classified as such due to its location on the south coast. Like all the southern villages there is only a limited bus service to get you there from Hania (5 a day in summer at the last count) and as it is quite a trek over the mountains there isn't the passing traffic that the north coast suffers from.

I like Elounda that has already been mentioned but I wouldn't compare the two. Elounda is a purpose built tourist destination whilst Paleochora is a true village with roots, albeit it probably relies on tourists these days for a living. Basically the south coast villages are a million miles away from the tourist resorts on the north coast and are much, much, better for it in terms of quality of life even though they can be a bit of a b.....ger to get to.

I would have no hesitation in heading there and I hope someone else comes alomg soon and gives you some more up to date information that will help you decide.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peaceful

Sorry peter but Elounda is not << Elounda is a purpose built tourist destination>> it's a fishing village that now attracts tourist like many many villages in Crete ...... And it has been compared to Parga on many many occasions...

www.explorecrete.com/crete-east/elounda.html

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peaceful

I've been briefly for the day to both Stoupa and to Paleochora and I thought Paleochora was far nicer. It seemed very laid back and had less of a "British package resort" feel than Stoupa. If you are looking for somewhere peaceful and relaxed I think Paleochora will suit you very well, certainly more so than most of the north coast resorts which are much more developed.

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
827 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peaceful

Hi Alison

I've been to all three of the resorts you mention, Parga twice and would hope to return. I have also spent a week in Paleochora in June 2008 and hope to return. It is a lovely little place. Very chilled and quiet in the afternoons. There is a choice of a wide sandy beach at one side of the promontory and a smaller, rocky beach at the other. We tried both as sometimes it can get a bit windy. There is not really any room for development in the town itself and we felt it was really nice and Greek. Although we liked Stoupa and Aghios Giordis we would chose Paleochora over them anytime. There is a good choice of tavernas, cafe/bars a few supermarkets, at least one bakery and a few gift shops. There was a land train when we were there although we didn't use it and also and open air cinema (not open in June). There are ferry links along the south coast and you can get a day trip to Elafonissi beach which we did. I believe there are walks but we are not walkers (only round the shops.Lol!)

Pricewise it is not expensive. If there is a downside I would say it is perhaps a bit remote if you are wanting to get out and about because the roads very windy and not very well signposted.

Try these http://www.thepaleochorasite.com/ and http://www.palaiochora.com/?lang=en also try youtube.

I'd say go for it. Hope some of this has helped,

Jean

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
827 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peaceful

Forgot to say they close off part of the main street in the evenings and fill it with tables They also take you into the kitchen in some tavernas to show you the food. Some of them serve local barrel wine which you can buy cheaply in a couple of the shops.

Jean

Northants UK
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peaceful

Hi Peaceful,

Totally agree with posts 4, 5 and 6, we love Paleochora mainly because it is completely away from the touristy resorts, having said that it is a busy little town in the mornings and evenings. Plenty of great tavernas lots of walking (if you want to) ferries to Sougia and Elafonissi. It is the only place that we keep returning to and is definitely my favourite . Haven't been to Parga but have been to Stoupa , think Paleochora wins give it a try I'm sure you will love it. Lots of good reasonably priced accomodation too. 10 weeks and we will be there.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peaceful

Apologies to Elounda for referring to it as a purpose built resort or something similar. Of course it had roots as a fishing village. What I should have said was that the tourist potential of the village and surrounding area was realised over 30 years ago and it was developed with tourists specifically in mind hence the plethora of upmarket hotels on the fringes of the village. The difference between Elounda and Paleochora is that in Paleochora, whatever growth has occurred, will have been organic rather than pre-planned. The development of Elounda has been a spectacular success as, and even with all the development, it still feels like a village even if there are few signs of original village still evident.

I hasten to add that I wasn't knocking Elounda but merely saying that I didn't think it could be directly compared with Paleochora. They are two different beasts as far as I'm concerned. I still like Elounda and of the northern coast resorts it would be my choice as the place to stay.

I am pleased to hear that they still close the Paleochora main street at night and bring the taverna tables out onto the ad hoc 'terrace'. Lovely.

Leeds
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peaceful

Thank you

Leeds
Level Contributor
116 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peaceful

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post.. All the info is fantastic it's a big help to me.. I think Paleochora is on the cards for us.. Plus someone mentioned in the forum you can fly with Ryanair to Chania from Leeds.. So that's a bonus too..