My wife, adult son and I will rent a car for an 11 day stay in Crete in September, the first half in Sfinari on the west coast and the second near Elounda further east. We'd fly into and rent the car at Chania at about 5 p.m. on a weekday and return the car at Heraklion on a Saturday, probably at about 8 a.m. (though possibly earlier, as discussed below). We'll probably just rent a basic car that can hold three people. I'd appreciate any advice about the following:
1. First of all, are there any particular companies folks recommend in terms of price and reliability?
2. Should we expect to pay more for renting in Chania and dropping off in Heraklion? If so, any idea of the difference in prices, as opposed to returning it to Chania?
3. There is a chance we'd change our outbound flight from 10:30 a.m. to as early as 6:40 a.m.? Would this be crazy in terms of either driving from Elounda to Heraklion in the dark or the car rental agency simply not being open to receive our car so early?
4. For that matter, is planning to return it at 8 a.m. in Heraklion even too early, in terms of the agency not being open?
4. How much time should we expect the rental and drop-off processes to take?
5. If necessary, we could pursue other options, such as returning the car to Chania at the end of 11 days and flying from there, or returning it half-way through the trip to Chania (since we won't need it much for the second half) and simply arranging (I assume very expensive) private transit from there to our hotel near Elounda. I'd rather not pursue these options, but if they help anyone to give advice I thought I'd mention them.
Thanks for any help!Edited: 10 July 2014, 21:29