We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samaria Gorge overnight stay

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Samaria Gorge overnight stay

Hi all!

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I did a search and found a bunch of old topics so just want to get some recent info :)

My girlfriend and myself are looking to hike the Samarian Gorge, but are staying in Falassarna. We don't really fancy a day trip, but would like to stay at the end of the Gorge the night prior to doing the hike, catch a bus up the gorge and then take our car back to Falassarna after the hike. What would be the best place to do this?

We'd love a chilled out place where you can just relax, have a few drinks and nice dinner and then do the hike early the next morning. We don't mind taking a ferry from Agia Roumeli after the hike. Or perhaps Agia Roumeli is just the place we're looking for?

Thanks so much!

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,480 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samaria Gorge overnight stay

Congratulations. You are the very first person to ask this question, at least in the 4-5 years I've been around here! And what a good question it is. Most people "do" the gorge as a day trip, but what you are planning is ever so much more rewarding.

Agia Roumeli is just the place you're looking for. Once the hundreds of gorge walkers have left, the village is the most peaceful place in the world. There is lots of good accommodation, several good tavernas where you can eat overlooking the sea, and at night there are millions of stars. And there is an excellent, huge beach. You can't do better.

However, you cannot "take a bus up the gorge". It's a gorge! A remote, wild place with a footpath. There isn't even a road to Agia Roumeli, let alone one in the gorge.

Here is what you can do. Drive to Chania early in the morning from Falassarna (someone else will have to tell you about parking). Take the bus to Omalos. Don't hurry to catch the earliest one: if you are going to stay in Agia Roumeli you can afford to dawdle at Omalos until about 11.30am, when all the tour buses will have delivered their loads of tourists. Starting down then you will have the gorge almost to yourself, and as you won't have to hurry to catch the 17.30 ferry you can take your time.(You say you are staying in Falassarna, so I guess you are there now, yes? In that case there will be plenty of daylight for a leisurely descent.

You can leave the next morning on the early ferry to Chora Sfakion, or spend the morning on the beach and leave in the afternoon. From Chora Sfakion take the bus back to Chania and your car.

If you want thoughts on accommodation, or anything else for your trip, please ask. Staying overnight after the walk will be a completely different experience and you'll be very glad you did it.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 21:00
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samaria Gorge overnight stay

Wow! Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I did not expect that :)

We're definitely going with your suggestion, it really does sound like just the ticket! We're actually leaving for Greece tomorrow and will do this next Friday, so yes plenty of daylight!

Any tips on accomodation in Agia Roumeli would be very much appreciated :) You're saying there's an early ferry leaving Agia Roumeli? Would you happen to know what time it leaves?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samaria Gorge overnight stay

I just found the timetables for the ferry service from Agia Roumeli & the bus from Chora Sfakion to Chania. Looks pretty good!

For future reference:

Ferry: http://www.anendyk.gr/pages/en/timetable.php

Bus: bus-service-crete.com/timetabledet.php…

Edited: 31 July 2014, 21:50
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,480 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samaria Gorge overnight stay

This place is good:

http://www.pachnes.gr/

It has fine views of the mountains, and is very quiet, and has excellent food. If there is a hiking group there, you may not be able to get in, but it's worth a try. Be sure and look at the Gallery section. The photos will make you want to stay longer.

For somewhere with a sea view:

http://www.calypso.agiaroumeli.gr/

or (if your budget can stretch to something slightly more expensive, these are very nice studios:

http://www.agiaroumeli.com/artemis_hotel.htm

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samaria Gorge overnight stay

Right, so we've returned from a lovely holiday on Crete and did the Samaria Gorge. Twice. :)

We decided we didn't want the hassle with driving to Chania, parking, busses and ferries, so we drove to the top of the gorge, parked our car, hiked down. There we stayed at Calypso, which is an excellent choice with friendly owners (family owned) and good rooms. We loved staying in Agia Roumeli when all the daytrippers had left. It was so nice and quiet.

The next morning we woke up early and hiked UP. We had the entire gorge to ourselves for the first 2,5 - 3 hours before encountering people hiking down. To be honest, hiking up was not too bad, it's just the last part that's slightly tiresome as it's steep stairs. From there we picked up our car and continued our journey.

If you're fit enough, you'll appreciate hiking up, instead of down. I only wished we'd stayed in AR an extra night.

6. Re: Samaria Gorge overnight stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 06:17