We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to do part of the Gorge?

MD
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Possible to do part of the Gorge?

I was wondering if it was possible to do part of the Gorge or if it was even worth it to do part - my husband needs to have his kneed scoped when we return so I'm not sure how he will fair. I also have feet that hurt all the time. So I was concerned w/ walking 6-7 hours. But really don't want to miss seeing the Gorge. Wondered if there was a smaller portion that we could do that would be worth it or if it is all or nothing.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
363 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible to do part of the Gorge?

Yes it is-in fact it is commonly known as "the lazy way". The boat leaves you at Ag. Roumeli and from there you can walk (climb) to the narrowest point (which is the most impressive). I recommend asking at a tour agent in Crete if this is suitable for your husband

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible to do part of the Gorge?

If your not fit don't try it. It is essentially all or nothing, but there are other shorter and much easier gorges such as the Imbros gorge or Zakros gorges, there are others but those I have done so know what they're like.

MD
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible to do part of the Gorge?

we are both fit, just both having issues :) I am going to see about getting a cortisone shot before I go - maybe my husband can do the same :)

MD
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible to do part of the Gorge?

we are both fit, just both having issues :) I am going to see about getting a cortisone shot before I go - maybe my husband can do the same :)

MD
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible to do part of the Gorge?

whoops sorry for the double post

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible to do part of the Gorge?

Hi

As Elena GR says, you can walk up the gorge from Agia Roumeli. This part of the gorge is reasonably flat & easily accessed. More importantly, if you feel that your respective conditions are restricting you from travelling further you can turn around and walk out. If however you embark on the journey from the top of the gorge then you have an almost 3000ft descent within the first couple of miles. (mostly by good track & steps)This could be very hard on your husbands knees. Unfortunately, once you have made the descent, the only ways out are to climb back up to the start, or carry on to the end. I think that the only emergency transport is by donkey.

If you have transport, my recommendation would be to drive to the top of the gorge, enjoy the spectacular views from there, have a stroll around Omalos, then travel down to Agia Irini, where the Irini gorge begins. This gorge is quite spectacular, only seven km. long and not so wearing on the knees or feet. At the end of the gorge there is a nice walk out to Sougia, a lovely village by the sea. From there you can get the bus back to Ag, Irini & pick up your car. You would, of course have to check bus timetables from Sougia etc.

As for the Samaria gorge, if in doubt, don't do it.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible to do part of the Gorge?

Yeh, do the lazy way. It's fairly flat but you will be walking on lots of uneven ground. You can do what you can and return. Check ferry times and make sure you have what time you need.

Shop around for best price, do not just book from your rep.

The place is awesome so even if you do not get far you can get an appreciation of it, so try it and see.

We were recommeded to walk in swimming gear so we could go straight into the sea afterwards but as there is a nudist (very rocky) beach at one end of the bay if you forget it's no problem!!

If your husband's knee starts hurting there is plenty of cold water in the gorge to soothe it. Go for it.

8. Re: Possible to do part of the Gorge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 00:17