We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Topic
Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

Hi,

My husband and I are arriving in Heraklion by ferry in late May and staying Agios Nikolaos. Does it make more sense for us to rent a car at the port to go back to our hotel? Especially if we'll be visiting Knossos, the Archaeological Museum and Spinalonga. Or should we use public transportation? Thank you!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

Hi there

Although the bus service is very good in Crete - if you dont mind driving then my advice would be to hire a car as this will give you so much more flexibility. Cost wise you are looking at around 25 euros per day for an A class car.

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

Thanks Surrey! And are there rental agencies at the ferry port? Our ferry arrives late in the afternoon..

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

I think I would book before hand so that there is some one there to met you with a car....did you want automatic??? if you did then I would definately book :-)

There are lots of good car hire companies in Agios, we use Club Cars who are based in Agios , they would be happy to meet you at the port, the contact there is George this is their web site and contact details.

http://www.clubcars.net/

Main Office »

Agios Nikolaos, 72100

Lassithi, Crete, Greece

Tel. +30 28410 25868

or +30 28410 82804

or +30 28410 22370

Fax: +30 28410 26668

E-mail: info@clubcars.net

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

Thank you so much Surrey I really appreciate it!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

No problems have a great holiday both of you :-)

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

Hi,

if anyone is still interested in a recommendation - I can recommend hiring a car at KeraTours, as this is the travel and car rental office I personally had good experiences with. I agree with MG100surrey about a car giving you flexibility, but booking one or two guided excursions to visit archeological places has its advantages too. KeraTours offers up to 15% discount on all kind of excursions if you hire a car at their office (including a very nice excursion to Knossos and Lassithi and also to Spinalonga). Check out their Car Rental page (http://keratours.gr/carrental.php) and their excursion offers (http://keratours.gr/coach-excursion.php).

Regards :)

Peter

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

Hi Peter

I may be wrong here........ but you have only posted two posts on this forum and both of these are recommending Keratours excursions and their car hire too.....and you have also resurrected these old posts as well....you aren't associated with this company by any chance are you?????

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

Not only that but no other activity on tripadvisor whatsoever

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

Relax people... yes, I registered today and I had to start from somewhere / with something. Of course I have more info to share about other subjects regarding Crete (hotels, tavernas), just give me a little time, lol :)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I rent a car or use public transportation?

Good to know Peter :-)

Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos
Recent Conversations