We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matala/Agios Nikolaos/Elounda/Agia Galini

Toronto
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Matala/Agios Nikolaos/Elounda/Agia Galini

Hello experts,

I would greatly appreciate some guidance. My husband and I are in our late 20s, coming to Crete via Herkalion for 4 nights in early September. We plan to rent a car.

We are old souls, romantics, looking for a beautiful town on a stunning beach for swimming. We plan to visit Knossos and spend the rest of the time in a single accomodation seeing local scenery of which we are not picky (be it nature, churches, marinas/promenades, ruins/architecture etc), relaxing by the beach, eating at fabulous local restaurants, and having a nightcap at a bar/taverna. No clubs or discos, and we don't want too crowded a beach.

I am torn between Matala/Agios/Elounda/Agia Galini and open to any other suggestions.

Could someone please make up my mind for me??

Thank you very much,

Michelle

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matala/Agios Nikolaos/Elounda/Agia Galini

Sissi, number of small beaches within walking distance, as well as the harbour where most locals swim, lots of nice places to eat & bars. No 18-30's. Good local car hire available and they will deliver a car to airport if required. Sissi only a few minutes drive to the main highway so so can explore east or west. We have been using it as our base for years.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matala/Agios Nikolaos/Elounda/Agia Galini

I've never stayed in Ag Nik or Elounda, so I cannot comment on them. But I do know the area around Agia Galini and Matala, which is great because it is away from the main tourist spots on the north coast.

Matala has the best beach, although it gets quite crowded at times. Several coach tours from the north coast arrive in Matala each day, usually in time for lunch in the many tavernas, and leave again in mid afternoon. Outside of these times the place is much more relaxed. There are lots of places to stay, although none of them is right on the beach.

Agia Galini is built up the side of a hill, above the harbour, and has more character than present day Matala. The beach is narrow and not as impressive as Matala's, and is a few minutes walk around the headland from the harbour. There is little accommodation near the beach, so a stay in Agia Galini involves lots of walking up and down hill. However, there are good views to be had as compensation.

If the area appeals to you then I would recommend the small village of Kalamaki, which is a few kilometres north of Matala, at one end of a 2 km sandy beach. From there Matala, Agia Galini and the historic sites at Phaistos and Gortyna are within 20 or 30 minutes drive. You can get accommodation right on the beach, with views across the Libyan Sea, and great sunsets. There are lots of tavernas, including a couple serving really excellent sea food. I can recommend staying here http://www.kiknos.org/index.html where you can get a room with a balcony looking straight on to the beach for 35 Euros a night.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matala/Agios Nikolaos/Elounda/Agia Galini

I've never stayed in Ag Nik or Elounda, so I cannot comment on them. But I do know the area around Agia Galini and Matala, which is great because it is away from the main tourist spots on the north coast.

Matala has the best beach, although it gets quite crowded at times. Several coach tours from the north coast arrive in Matala each day, usually in time for lunch in the many tavernas, and leave again in mid afternoon. Outside of these times the place is much more relaxed. There are lots of places to stay, although none of them is right on the beach.

Agia Galini is built up the side of a hill, above the harbour, and has more character than present day Matala. The beach is narrow and not as impressive as Matala's, and is a few minutes walk around the headland from the harbour. There is little accommodation near the beach, so a stay in Agia Galini involves lots of walking up and down hill. However, there are good views to be had as compensation.

If the area appeals to you then I would recommend the small village of Kalamaki, which is a few kilometres north of Matala, at one end of a 2 km sandy beach. From there Matala, Agia Galini and the historic sites at Phaistos and Gortyna are within 20 or 30 minutes drive. You can get accommodation right on the beach, with views across the Libyan Sea, and great sunsets. There are lots of tavernas, including a couple serving really excellent sea food. I can recommend staying here http://www.kiknos.org/index.html where you can get a room with a balcony looking straight on to the beach for 35 Euros a night.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Matala/Agios Nikolaos/Elounda/Agia Galini

HI there

I havent stayed in Matala, although we are hoping to spend a couple of nights there next week....I have spend a night in Agia Galini a few years ago in May and agree with the above comments, its a lovely village with a very pretty harbour and some great tavernas too, and the back drop to the harbour was beautiful with the snow capped mountains.

I am obviously more familiar with both Agios and Elounda, and both of these places would suit you, as would Agia Galini - Agios is obviously larger than Elounda, I think I would look at where want to visit during your four days stay, ELounda and Agios are both just under an hour from Knossos, so this would make them convenient, however, you may decide that you want to visit places on the south of the island and then these locations on the south of the island would suit you better.

I am sure where ever you stay you will enjoy Crete : -)

5. Re: Matala/Agios Nikolaos/Elounda/Agia Galini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 21:45
Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos
Recent Conversations