We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport from Airport to Agios Nikolaos

Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Public Transport from Airport to Agios Nikolaos

Hi, I have just booked (on impulse!) a holiday in September to stay at the Hotel Angelos in Agios Nikolaos. I know these are more apartment type rooms, but seem to have a lovely sea view, with a late opening supermarket at ground level - so perfect for us. I have had a quick scan of the forum, and can't seem to find posts that relate to public transport to resort - I am sure I have missed something! My questions are:

1) Which airport is nearest to Agios Nikolaos?

2) Is there public transport from airport to resort?

3) is there public transport to Plaka (yes, I read the book, hence my wish to visit Spinalonga from Plaka)

We love Greece, and this will be our 4th Greek holiday -having visited Corfu, Santorini and Halkidiki in previous years.

Sorry if my question is repetitive on the forum!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,332 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport from Airport to Agios Nikolaos

In order, Heraklion, yes (depending on the time you arrive), yes.

Bus timetables here - they are the winter ones at the moment, but will update:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

All Ag. Nik. buses go via the airport. The number of Ag. Nik buses will not be a lot greater than shown now, but the number of Elounda and Plaka buses will be a lot higher - expect Elounda hourly and Plaka every 2 hours (and every day!) in September.

Remember you can get a boat to Spinalonga from Ag. Nik., Elounda or Plaka - but I understand you may want to visit Plaka in any case.

I don't know where your hotel is, but bear in mind that the bus station in Ag. Nik. is a good 10 minutes walk inland from the centre. So you may need to get a taxi from the bus station. Also consider a transfer from airport to hotel using one of the companies such as resorthoppa, A2B transfers etc.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport from Airport to Agios Nikolaos

Hi there

Steve has already answered all yours transport questions, with regards to the location of your hotel it is no more than 5 min walk to the very centre of the town ( lake area) ..if you want to catch the bus into Elounda and Plaka then the bus route runs along the road directly outside your hotel, ....however if you catch the bus from The airport you may need to walk from the bus station which as Steve says in no more tha 10 mins from you a accomodation, if you have luggage with wheels then I would walk as it's down hill most of the way..

If you would like any other information about Agios and the surrounding areas then please do just ask :-)

Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport from Airport to Agios Nikolaos

So sorry, I know it is very late but I forgot to thank Steve and MG100 for your answers. Much appreciated and helpful information.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport from Airport to Agios Nikolaos

You are very welcome and Enjoy your holiday in Agios it's a beautiful area of Crete

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,332 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport from Airport to Agios Nikolaos

That's OK, have a great time!

6. Re: Public Transport from Airport to Agios Nikolaos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos
Recent Conversations