We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hermes Hotel

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Hermes Hotel

We have just booked this hotel for 10 nights in June:questions:what are the beaches like,local bars,boat trips,things to see,hope this list is not to extensive,?

Thanks.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hermes Hotel

Hi there

The beach opposite your hotel is not very good man made black shingle so it's like cat litter. :-( however just 5 mins walk as you turn left from your hotel is ammoundi beach which is a lovely sandy cove with calm warm water, this beach area has had a make over during the winter and is now looking very smart , on my phone so can't post any links :-( you could also check out voulisma beach which is just outside the village of istro if 15 min drive from agios a lovely sandy beach .

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hermes Hotel

Thanks for the info.

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hermes Hotel

Hi MG We have not been to Crete before,what are the prices like i.e. drinks,eating out? are there any boat trips that you can recommend?

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,369 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hermes Hotel

Hi there

Prices for food are very good, and meal for two with wine and water is on average 30 euros although you can get set meals two courses which are around 9 euros each...the cheapest way to eat while in Crete is meze so no starter or main. Course, you just order 4/5 small plates of food that you share...if we eat this way and with wine it costs around 20 euros ...wine isn5 euros a jug and beer around 2/3 euros, spirits and cocktails are quite expensive so gin and tonic 6 euros and cocktails 7/8 euros depending on where you drink. However, what the Cretans are famous for is there generosity and you will find at the end of every meal you will be given a free pudding, or a glass of raki or both :-)

There are a few boats trips fro. The harbour area....fishing trips ...which I haven't been on friends did it last year and said it was brilliant....there is also the semi submarine which is very different to a glass bottom boat as you actually sit down inside the hull of the boat.....we did this a couple if years ago and it was very good, if I remember it cost 13 euros...there is also of course the boats that leave to visit Spinalonga, there are lots of different trips some include BBQ etc etc....of course the other option is to drive to the village of Plaka and catch one of the smaller boats across from here....which I would recommend if you have read the book the island by Victoria Hislop ...if you decide you want to catch the boat From here I would suggest getting to Plaka by 9 to catch one of the first boats across which means you get into the island before all the tour operators boats arrive there after 10.00

Maldon, Essex, UK
Level Contributor
136 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hermes Hotel

Agree with MG on the meze. It's by far the best way to eat out there & much the cheapest. Basically just order off the hot & cold starters pages & when you get to the ones with pictures of main courses stop unless you want a particular favourite. Most of those courses come with either chips or rice, or both.

To add to MG the most expensive meals are likely to be fresh fish. It's not cheap but it is good. Much better value are Octopus, Squid, Cuttlefish & for meat eaters :) Snails. Boy I'm looking forward to them in a month!! Carafes of local wine hit the spot as well with a bottle on occasions but rare. From the Hermes you are a few minutes into town where there are a number of really good places to eat & also left along the road has some more very nice tavernas. We all have our favourites but in 14 years of previous visits it's much, much harder to find a bad meal than good.

As for beaches the biggest just outside Ag Nik is at Almyros to the east which is long & and sandy, shelves gently. It's probably a 30 min walk, maybe a little more or a 5+ minute drive. It's on the same route as going to Istron where there are 3 beaches including the Voulisma referred to.

Plenty of boat trips from the harbour going Spinalonga way taking various lengths of time & we've done the fishing before which are good fun & I hate fishing! For a small slice of Minoan life, even if you're not keen on history, try Lato up by Kritsa. It's much overlooked but try to work out how they built it up there. Kritsa is much nicer as a walk through, sit & have a drink than it used to be.

Enjoy.

Pete

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hermes Hotel

MG & Hooly,

Thanks for your input much appreciated.

Edited: 18 May 2014, 16:32
Leeds, England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hermes Hotel

Hi there,

Just saw your post and thought I'd help.

The nearest and best beach is Armoudi, which means turning left out of the hotel door and walking about 200mtrs. You can see it along the sea front. Its clean and family friendly with wind surfing / jet boat options.

Re food: by far the best food is to be had at the Piato restaurant, you'll find it opposite the entrance to the above mentioned beach (see their reviews on here). If you fancy getting out a bit, the bus to Elounda is very cheap. Should you get the chance to visit the island of Spinalonga, I'd highly recommend you go. Though it would be a good idea to do a little research on line before you do, it will make the world of difference for the experience. The best holiday book is "The Island" by Victoria Hislop on Spinalonga. Its fiction but based on real facts of the time.

If you're getting a hire car, (turn right out of the hotel door, go see Economy cars, just past the first shop) its not very far to the village of Kritsa. There you'll find lots of tourist kind of goods, but if you take the time to explore, there are quite a few Cretan old timers who are happy to chat and make you feel welcome. You don't desperately need a vast knowledge of Greek as most of the locals are able to chat in english. Should there be anything else you would like to know, just ask. We are regular guests at the Hermes. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Best wishes. Ian

PS Do I need to say take plenty of water where ever you go? You'll find the nearest shop by turning left out of the hotel 20mtrs at the side of the Todleoke cafe/bar. By the way the Todleoke is really good for food / drinks and they're always open late.

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hermes Hotel

Thanks Ian G,looking forward to our first trip to Crete.

9. Re: Hermes Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos