We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agios Nikolas or Rethmynon

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Agios Nikolas or Rethmynon

Hi i am going back to Crete in September after 26 years, my wife and i have been to nearly all the Greek islands in this time but think it's time to return. We stayed in Rethymnon back then but are now looking at Agios Nikolas, but we are looking at hotels in Rethymnon as we enjoyed our time there. Anybody been to the 2 resorts and give us their favourites and why.

Thanks

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agios Nikolas or Rethmynon

Hi there

I have stayed in both towns and I like them both , but Agios is my favourite ..why..I think the views from Agios are much more dramatic and prettier than Rethymnon .....as Rethymnon has a flat sea view..so no islands or mountains, where Agios has sea, islands and mountain views from nearly all the town :-) Rethymnon has a long sandy beach, which is great, but I prefer small beaches and coves, Agios has four town beaches and is only 15 mins away from the best beach on the north coast of Crete Voulisma beach ....I also love this area of Crete the beautiful mountains and the pretty villages that surround the town of Agios .

However even after saying why I prefer Agios both towns are wonderful with great traditional tavernas so which ever town you choose you will have a great holiday :-)

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agios Nikolas or Rethmynon

Thanks for your valued opinion, we do like the look of the lake area of Ag Nik, it looks quite romantic at night, we really do want to try Agios Nikolas as we do like to try somewhere we havn't been before, but a lot of the nice hotels seem to be quite away from the town centre, although the Creta hotel does have good reviews and a good location, thanks again

Edited: 19 May 2014, 20:18
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agios Nikolas or Rethmynon

Hi there

I would recommend that you do stay slightly out of town, but an easy walk into town, as a working Greek town the very centre of town can be noisy ....my favourite area of Agios is the ammoundi area of Agios if you let me know your budget I am happy to give you some suggestions fir accomodation

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agios Nikolas or Rethmynon

My budget is about £50-100 a night, about 10-15 minute walk from the main hub, Thanks again

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agios Nikolas or Rethmynon

Hi there,

I will be the counterbalance to MG's suggestion. :o)

Having been in Rethymnon 26 years ago, you will see quite remarkable changes in the town. It now has new plazas and squares, pavements, bicycle lanes, pavemented streets in the old town etc. Rethymnon is flat indeed but that makes it easier for walking around the old town, without going up or downhill. Also you can pick hotels that are in town and are footsteps away from the (very long) beach.

My opinion of course is subjective, as I live in Rethymnon. :o) Love both of them, of course, the lake area is fantastic, have fun wherever you choose to go.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,358 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agios Nikolas or Rethmynon

Hi there

Have a look at the Victoria hotel small family run hotel, great views around 10 min max walk to the lake, also look at the Lato hotel slightly further out of town around 20 min walk but again wonderful,view and also has a swimming pool too

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agios Nikolas or Rethmynon

I'd suggest you consider the places you'd like to visit outside of the resort. Treat Heraklion and Knossos as a sort of dividing line, so anything east of those Ag Nik, otherwise Rethymnon.

However, I don't think you'd be disappointed in either.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Agios Nikolas or Rethmynon

Thanks for your input, i did like Rethymnon a lot, i stayed at the JO-Anne hotel which is still going strong & looks to have change beyond all recognition,i remember the beach was great, nice and calm but we were in a sheltered spot between the harbour walls, the sea outside of this area was quite rough. Thanks again

9. Re: Agios Nikolas or Rethmynon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Agios Nikolaos
Recent Conversations