We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first choice excursion spinalonga

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Britain
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
first choice excursion spinalonga

Hi

We're planning a holiday to Crete and will probably stay in Aghia Marina. I'm really interested in the history of Spinalonga and wondered if First Choice ran an excursion there and if it would be possible from where we are staying. I know it looks a far distance on the map but I'm not sure what it translates to in travelling times.

Also, does anyone know what other tours first choice run

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first choice excursion spinalonga

Its about 3 hours by car each way. I have no idea if FC do tours there but if they do rest assured you will also be able to buy similar (or maybe even the exact same tour) privately in the harbour area for 1/2 their prices, thats the way all these package companies make their money

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,538 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first choice excursion spinalonga

Spinalonga is quite a distance from Chania, too far for a day trip in my opinion, however, if you did want to do it all towns and most resorts have travel agents that run excursions all over the island, I'd certainly consider using one of these as they are likely to be much cheaper than using your tour operator.

Britain
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first choice excursion spinalonga

Ok. Thanks for all your help

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first choice excursion spinalonga

If you haven't already, you have to read The Island by Victoria Hislop.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first choice excursion spinalonga

Hi there

Regardless of who runs organised tours to Spinalongs, you'll be talking about at least 30-40 euros each for the day trip. For 70-80 euros, you could hire a car for 2-3 days and take yourselves there under your own steam, plus see some other sights. Much quicker, more enjoyable and you can stop en route if you want to.

Obviously you'd have to pay for the trip across to the island but that isn't much anyway. Trips leave from Agios Nikolaos, Elounda and Plaka. I'd advise taking it from either of the last two as the ride from Ag Nik is quite long and you'd be better off driving the few extra miles to Elounda or Plaka rather than spending an extra hour or so on the boat.

First Choice will run trips to most of the major sights but they will charge you top whack for the so-called privilege. Their reps make a big commisssion for selling excursions which is lumped into the price you pay. So either rent a car or book the trips independantly of First Choice at any one of the dozens of local excursion agencies that there are in every Cretan resort. You'll save at least 25% or maybe even more.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
27 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first choice excursion spinalonga

As a local, my suggestion is to avoid this trip as it's a long way from Chania to Spinalonga.

7. Re: first choice excursion spinalonga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 17:16