We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things worth seeing in Chania

GB
Level Contributor
151 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Things worth seeing in Chania

Hi there - I'm not going until September however what would be your recommendations of things to see and do in Chania and the surrounding area?

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things worth seeing in Chania

I found a vist to the Allied War cemetery in Souda Bay (not far from Chania) a very interesting and moving experience. You can then combine that with a visit to the Naval Museum on the harbour in Chania that has a small Battle of Crete exhibition on the first floor.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things worth seeing in Chania

If you are up for hiking, the Samaria Gorge is the longest in Europe and offers beautiful natural scenery throughout. It takes about 6-8 hours to traverse it so it's not for everyone!

In town, DEFINITELY the Old Venetian Harbor, that's really the thing to see and the place to go in town, full of cafes and restaurants and you can get lost in the side streets with the old homes and tiny shops.

Next to the Venetian Harbor is another area known as Koum Kapi, which has a lot of bars and cafes along the waterfront and is preferred by the younger crowd. The narrow streets behind it have many old homes from the Ottoman era.

There's a couple of museums in town including the Archeological Museum, that are worth a visit, as is the "Agora" (market) in the center of town, though in recent years it's become more and more touristy, unfortunately.

A day trip to the city of Rethymnon (about an hour or so away) is well worth it!

As far as beaches, Falarsana and Elafonisi are two of the most beautiful beaches in the country, though each are about a 90 minute drive from town, but well worth the trip! Paleochora and Sougia, on the southern coast, also are beautiful and quiet. Toward the Akrotiri region there's also some nice beaches, including Stavros beach (which was seen in the movie "Zorba the Greek"). There's some very nice beaches closer to town, like Agioi Apostoloi (five separate sandy beaches) or the whole strip from Platanias-Agia Marina, but those are more crowded with tourists and locals alike.

Definitely visit some villages if you can...for a taste of traditional life and a meal in a village tavern...villages like Vamos, Vrises, etc. are off of the tourist beaten path and have shops and restaurants to offer.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things worth seeing in Chania

I agree with Neo11- plenty of good ideas there. I thought Crete had a great bus system. Didn't feel the need to rent a car while in Chania.

Samaria Gorge is spectacular- would highly recommend. It's really not that strenuous.

GB
Level Contributor
151 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things worth seeing in Chania

Excellent - thanks for the help!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things worth seeing in Chania

Two closer beaches, east from Chania about 15? Km would be Kalives and Almirides, East of Soula on your map. The first, I hear is a bit more "organized", the 2nd is more a small Greek Village. Also, if you walk inland & uphill a few Km, there's a lovely traditional and uncommmercialized Greek village called Gavalachora, where there is also a Folk Art museum.

In Chania, explore back from the harbor, street like Sifaka, I call it the Knives Street -- makers of the traditional Greek Knives (put in checked baggage! going home).. also other products w. olive wood... if u like to stay up late, after 11 pm go to Kafe Kriti where old guys w. mustaches play old-timey instruments. If you like chic club life, word is that in Neo Chania -- a few blocks EAST of the end of Old Town Harbor, the joint is always jumpin', with many clubs, trendy young people dancing the night away til 4 am or so.

On Kalergon street, there is a 2000 BC minoan ruin (I think they found it when Nazis bombed the house there) -- surrounded by a low fence... and bordered by lovely flowers grown in olive-oil tins!

6. Re: Things worth seeing in Chania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 11:20
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town
Recent Conversations