We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional Crete food / local places of note?

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional Crete food / local places of note?

Will be at Casa Delfino from Sept 26-30 (arriving late on 26th). Two women, love to experience local food and wine, expensive doesn't always mean great, we're more interested in places that serve local cuisine.

Tell me about Bouzoukia...Any place special we should hit?

I always prefer to wander my way through local neighbourhoods, rather than tourist sites only. Are there are out of the way places that would be interesting to see; off the beaten path? Samaria Gorge too strenuous for my travelling companion.

Soooo looking fwd to this trip...! Thanks for any suggestions.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional Crete food / local places of note?

I think I recall from an earlier post that you and your travelling companion are foodies. Would you be interested in Cretan cooking lessons? A local cooperative in Vamos, a village near Chania, offers several tourist activities, including cooking lessons (vamossa.gr/content/view/14/9/lang,english/). I wasn’t able to take a class during my trip in May, but did visit Vamos and saw the site where the lessons are offered. Looked charming. (You can see my pic of the site here: http://flickr.com/photos/25804015@N00/2553987027/in/set-72157605455986424/. While you’re at Flickr, search on “Vamos Crete cooking” and you’ll find more pics of folks lucky enough to take the lessons.)

Vamos is easily reached by a couple of KTEL buses each day, but I’m not sure whether the lessons end before the last bus of the day. Something to double check if you won’t be renting a car.

Have a great time and say hi to Crete for me!

Susan

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional Crete food / local places of note?

Mom, in Old Town Chania, many guide books recommend Apostolis2 -- which doesn't mean it's for tourists -- when we were there, everyone else was talking Greek. It has a rep for best seafood in Old Town. Just walk along the harbor to the very end... and there it is. It has a great view of sunset (AND plastic sidewalls if it gets windy, yay). We had artichokes in a sauce that had us groaning in ecstasy... I had mussels in a wine sauce ditto. For 3 of us, a hearty meal w. a glss of wine for about 12-13 E each. Sigh.

Also, on Zambeliou street, a small unprepossessing place caught my eye because menus were mainly in French & I thought the French usually know a good thing and they were right! Enetikon, good Cretan food. Another -- on Kalergon street, DOloma, unpretentious, vines overhead, traditional cuisine.

MUSIC -- Look for Kafe Kriti, also on Kalergon, after 11 pm... old guys with mustachios play lyra, bouzouki, other old-timey instruments, it used to be mostly locals, now the tourist have found it, but it's lo-key so it doesn't get too crowded. A line of guys will dance, but they don't ask the women to take part!

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional Crete food / local places of note?

We loved Moutoupaki- great restaurant, wonderful food and service. I fantasize about their food...... It's on a back street around the harbor- the address is Porto 60.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional Crete food / local places of note?

Thanks team; great help.

Snullr, well done, I SOOOO wanna take that course! That cooking course is WHY we booked C-Delfino, they offer it as a sidebar to staying in their hotel, and am currently waiting their answer if they can get their group together. But now I know where if we wanna do private. I will check it out. Huge thanks, all, for all the suggestions. If there are others...shoot 'em over, not just food but local untouristed areas are always a bonus.

Chania Town, Greece
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional Crete food / local places of note?

I would suggest you to visit mountain villages where you will find real authentic cretan cuisine.

Try Samonas village, only 25km from Hania, and go to the eagle's nest taverna. Ask for Katina to take you the order and you will never regard it.

Vafes, Fres, Vrisses, Vamos, are some other villages with good food, but if you try only one, try Samonas. If you go Sunday noon it will be very busy but you will find a great variety. Other days it is possible that you will be all alone and maybe the owners will share their table with you...

6. Re: Traditional Crete food / local places of note?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 17:32