We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurants in Chania?

Stavanger, norway
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best restaurants in Chania?

My family and I are going to Chania in August. Can anyone recommend some good restaurants? We have a 2 year old, so we are mainly looking for restaurants for families

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurants in Chania?

Almost all restaurants cater to families ... it's mainly a question of how your 2 year old will deal with crowds (it's August!!). Some people bring along a folding "cane" stroller (push-chair) so if the child gets tired, he/she can doze while parents linger.

Most of the harborside restaurants re overpriced tourist traps, but at the very FAR end is a taverna specializing in fish dishes that consistently is praised... and I like it too. APostolis ... I still remember the artichokes in viniagrette, and a fish soup that was VERY reasonable (most fish dishes in Greece are quite costly).

Another taverna, small on Zambeliou St. is Enetikon... attracts many French visitors, always a good sign. Substantial meals, for about 12€ per person. Zambeliou is a busy pedestrian lane, but you can eat quietly at a back table outside.

UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurants in Chania?

I suppose that you have already scanned the reviews in the Chania Restaurants page?

Travelerjan recommends Apostolis fish restaurant. It is also praised in the Rough Guide book. There seem to be several less-touristy fish restaurants at the eastern end of the harbour. We had a very good fish lunch at Antigoni, which may be next door to Apostolis. Antigoni is on the corner at the very end of the harbour-front row, next to the boat-shed which displays the speculative reconstruction of a bronze-age Minoan boat. Lots of locals eat at these places, but as Travelerjan says, fish dishes are dear on Crete.

During earlier stays in Chania (last one 2002) we often ate at Enetikon on Zambeliou Street, sitting outside, along the side alley. Good value and out of the crowds. But last April/May the place seemed deserted, night after night. We wondered why, and did not try it. Maybe Enetikon is busier these days?

To Xani is excellent if you have active children - it is around the corner in a cul-de-sac where kids can safely run about while parents eat. Very nice place, good food and wine, but slightly above average prices.

The little Doloma is a quiet backwater, just off Kalergon Street, behind the Venetian boat sheds. Lots of locals eat there inexpensively and toddlers no problem. The canary sings nicely!

Checkout the comments in the Restaurants page!

UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurants in Chania?

An afterthought: Chania in August is likely to be very hot. If you want to escape the heat, try some of the little tavernas in the nearby mountain villages. Vrises is a pleasant little town and one can eat next to the river - though the food and service when we were last there was indifferent. The drive to Theriso takes one up a fairly scenic gorge and there are several nice tavernas there. My definite favourite, however, is undoubtedly the little Taverna O Xalaris at Meskla. It is a haven of peace, immediately opposite the two churches at the upper end of Meskla. One eats in a large gravelled area under the welcome shade of huge old plane trees, with a rivulet running through. The food is simple but fresh and well cooked village fare. The location, on a hot day, is something special. I think that there is a bus service from Chania, if you don't have a car.

montreal
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurants in Chania?

We just got back from the Chania are in early July. I agree Enetikon on Zimbalou is excellent, and so is Tamam which is right next door. Both have great value, are beautiful and have lots of variety from traditional Greek to the less adventurous dishes my daughters liked. (chicken souvlaki plates, etc).

Both are quite busy so making a reservation for an outside table isn't a bad idea.

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restaurants in Chania?

If you are near Agia Marina there's a very good family friendly taverna called Mitsos www.mitsosrestaurant.com

Gteat website too!

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best restaurants in Chania?

My very favorite in Chania is Moutoupaki. It's on one of the back streets behind the harbor - incredible food. And isn't every restaurant in Greece a family restaurant?

Israel
Level Contributor
3 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best restaurants in Chania?

Tamam is great. And please do not , I repeat - DO NOT go to Enetikon !! they tried to rip us off there

adding things to the bill and short-changing us..

Enjoy

8. Re: Best restaurants in Chania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town
Recent Conversations