We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants for a solo traveller?

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants for a solo traveller?

I will be visiting Chania this May and am getting excited about my trip! I am female and will be travelling solo.

I am a little shy about eating at a restaurant on my own, so can you tell me if a solo diner will be welcomed in a restaurant? Or, will I be out of place? Should I go for lunch versus dinner?

Also, does anyone have any restaurant and cafe suggestions for me for lunch or dinner? I would love to try Cretan food, especially seafood, but am open to any suggestions.

Thank you for your input!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants for a solo traveller?

You will be welcomed, and you won't feel out of place. I speak as a solo female diner with 30 years of experience of eating on my own in Chania.

There are several good fish restaurants on the new harbour in Chania. I don't mean the beautiful Venetian harbour, where most of the restaurants are tourist traps with mediocre food (but could be an acceptable trade-off for the wonderful view and surroundings). Walk out along the Venetian harbour, continue around the Turkish mosque, and keep strolling until you get to the end very end. Keep your eyes open for places you like the look of on the way. Then turn back and sit down in the one you liked best.

Apostolis is good, so are Dino's and O Mathios.

People will tell you to avoid restaurants that have someone outside beckoning innocent tourists in. They all do this, on both harbours, but that doesn't always mean that the food is no good, and if you avoided them all you'd never get anything to eat.

There are very good (but not sea food) restaurants in the streets behind the harbour - The Well of the Turk and Hamam are two of the best. Karnagio, set back a bit from the new harbour, is also good, and next door to it an Italian restaurant, Kariatis.

Plakias, Greece
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants for a solo traveller?

Hello

If you like for a change a vegetarian dinner, I propose to go to To Stachi, serving traditional cretan food, it is at 5, Defkalonia str, from the venetian harbour to the right side, a little bit upwards. The owner will love to tell you everything about Crete and cretan food and agriculture.

Have a nice trip

Monica

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants for a solo traveller?

I second Alabastron's suggestion about Apostolis for seafood at the old harbour, really great, we ate there 4 times in 1 week's stay:)

For Oriental cuisine I loved Tamam - is this what you meant with Hamam Alabastron or is there a Hamam actually?

Have a great time in wonderful Chania, probably the most beautiful town in Greece...

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
657 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants for a solo traveller?

Portes,on Portou, run by Irish lady named Susanah. Lovely food really friendly welcome, we will be in there at least twice between 10th-23rd May. Eat outside if you don't mind streetlife walking through - free entertainment!

To find, walk round harbour, past blue hotel Lucia, turn left down to Zambeliou, turn down left past Enetiko taverna, then follow alley down past and through several tavernas until you find yourself in Portes. You may have to wait a bit for a small table by yourself, this is a GOOD SIGN! It's worth the wait. There are usually a few Irish, American, or Canadians in and they are often chatty, if you want it.

(We were in Toronto last yr, loved it.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,225 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants for a solo traveller?

Yes, sgbath, I did mean Tamam - Hamam was a typo. Great restaurant, isn't it?

One more thought: at the far end of the old harbour, near the Turkish mosque, is an exception to the mediocre food rule. Monastiri has very decent food, and a wonderful harbour view, friendly service, and no hassle. Definitely worth trying for a meal, or a drink before a meal somewhere else.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants for a solo traveller?

Alabastron, Monica, sbgath and weloveholiday - Thank you very much for taking the time to give these suggestions!! I am so looking forward to my holiday!

Alasbastron - I had to laugh when I read this bit <People will tell you to avoid restaurants that have someone outside beckoning innocent tourists in. They all do this, on both harbours, but that doesn't always mean that the food is no good, and if you avoided them all you'd never get anything to eat.>

weloveholiday - Happy to hear you loved Toronto! I hope you will visit again. Maybe I will see you at Portes, as I will be in Chania around the same time as you.

7. Re: Restaurants for a solo traveller?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:41