We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

Well, it looks like we'll be flying in to CHQ at noon, picking up our car, and continuing on to Chora Sfakia. We'll hike a bit in the area that day. The next day we'll take the 10:30 ferry over to the Samaria Gorge, hike up to at least the iron gates, and return in time for the 17:30 ferry back. We'll hang out in the town that night and then head to Chania for two nights. Does this sound like a good plan?

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

Well be staying at the Livikon Suites in Sfakia and Paradise Hotel in/near Chania. Are these good places to stay?

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

See my reply to your question on your other thread about using Chora Sfakion as a base to hike the Samaria Gorge for a couple of days. It says, to cut a long story short, that if you really want to see the Samaria Gorge, this is not the way: you need to stay in Agia Roumeli. But maybe that's not what you want to do, and perhaps I misunderstood your question.

Livikon is fine. I don't know the Paradise.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

My problem was leaving the car at the ferry. This way we'd keep it at the hotel in Sfakia. I figured a 2 1/2 hour hike up and 2 back will be enough time to see the iron gates?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

It's enough, but by doing it this way you'll see only a small section of the gorge: more than half the walk is the paved path from the village to the National Park entrance. The Portes (so-called Iron Gates for no reason that anyone can fathom) are the most spectacular part, but the whole gorge is wonderful. You obviously enjoy hiking, so if you are reasonably fit you should really try to see more of it than that - either by walking down it from Omalos while you're in Chania, or up it from Agia Roumeli. You could also stay in Sougia, and do the gorge from there - bus to Omalos in the morning, ferry back to Sougia in the afternoon. (This is the best way of doing it.)

As for the south coast villages, Loutro, Agia Roumeli, and Sougia are all nicer places to stay than Chora Sfakion (in my opinion), so I don't think that basing your decision to stay there on not wanting to leave your car at the ferry makes good sense. You would have a much better and more memorable experience of the gorge from Agia Roumeli or Sougia.

I really don't see the point of taking the car to Chora Sfakion just to have a place to leave it! You can take the 8.30 am bus from Chania to Chora Sfakion and the 10.30 ferry to Loutro (from where there are several great walks) or Agia Roumeli (from where, if you stay there, you can start up the gorge and see at least half of it before turning back - much more than half if you're very fit). You won't need the car on the south coast, so you might as well leave it at the ferry and pick it up when you come back, instead of being tied to Chora Sfakion.

Just my opinion. But it's hard to make suggestions for you without knowing more about your whole trip - where are you coming from, for example, and how long are you staying in Crete, and what else are you planning to do? Forgive me if you've told us this in previous posts.

Edited: 22 July 2012, 17:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

On second thoughts - I've just re-read the first sentence of your first post - since you want to head straight for the south coast, why don't you defer picking up the car until you get back to Chania? You won't need it down there, and you'll be freer to move around without it.

If your flight is on time, you should be able to catch the 14.00 bus to Chora Sfakion, and either stay there or take the last ferry of the day to Loutro.

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
971 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

I agree with the above Alabastron post.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

Okay...re-assessing my plans...Any suggestions to stay in Sougia?

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

Or Agia Roumeli?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

Have a look at the accommodation section here:

http://www.sougia.info/

I've stayed in several of the places described, and liked them all:

Arkhondiko

Eliros

Idomeneas

Aretousa

Arkhondiko is nearest the beach and the bus stop. Ideomeneas and Aretousa are further away, about 200 metres (5 minutes walk). I don't think you'll get into Eliros - it's very small and very popular.

But all the accommodation is good, and reasonably priced, apart from Syia, which is new, more luxurious, and more expensive.

Edited: 22 July 2012, 23:30
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short Itinerary for Samaria Gorge

There is a wide choice of accommodation in Agia Roumeli. You could look at http://www.agiaroumeli.com/ I've stayed in the Artemis studios, and they're very nice.

I've also stayed in the Tarra hotel, which is older and very simple, and its new dependency, run by Tarra's owner's nephew, Calypso. If you want to stay in Agia Roumeli, the best thing is to walk around and look at all the accommodation and decide on the spot. You'll get in anywhere, as not many people stay there - most just pass through on their way out of the gorge - which makes it a wonderfully peaceful place to stay.

If you want to stay in Sougia, you should book ahead.

Get answers to your questions about Chania Town
Recent Conversations