We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental without a credit card

Timisoara, Romania
6 posts
Save Topic
car rental without a credit card

can anyone recommend a good car rental company that accepts debit cards as well as i have been browsing the net and only found companies that at the terms and conditions say you need a credit card. can i not rent with a debit card?

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental without a credit card

You might find the smaller local companies will take cash. In much of Europe debit cards are only used for withdrawing cash from banks and ATMs.

leicester
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental without a credit card

most local firms prefer cash I can recomend athens cars gr have used them many times and always been happy

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
996 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental without a credit card

In Greece, debit cards offer no guarantee for the car rental companies, and banks don't give credit card machines for debit cards...

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental without a credit card

Hi lara

I would be inclined to pay cash for the rental anyway, you might well get a bit of a discount plus you're not leaving any card details with the hirers.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
702 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental without a credit card

Been going to Crete since 1993. Have never used any kind of card when hiring a car.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental without a credit card

Hi. Likewise!

On Crete never, ever been asked for CC details.

On other islands..............Even those companies who I have reserved a car with and who with state on their websites that CC details must be given, have never asked for them when they know that I am paying cash. :O) :O)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental without a credit card

Same here, I've never paid with a card. Book with a local company not a multi-national.

8. Re: car rental without a credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 07:16