We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

We are arriving at the Chania airport at 19:50 and need to get to Heraklion that evening. Our trip is scheduled for late May.

Can we take a public bus to Heraklion from the Chania airport. If not other than an expensive taxi, any suggestions??

Thanks for any help

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

You can't go to Heraklion from the airport, and the last bus leaves Chania bus station at 21.00. It's tight, but if your flight isn't delayed, and if you get through immigration and baggage quickly, you might just make it: a taxi into the centre of Chania (there will be plenty of them waiting at the airport) will cost you about 30 euros, and take about 20 minutes, depending on traffic, which shouldn't be too bad at that hour.

That would be too many "ifs" for me, and I'd be wondering all through the flight and probably for weeks beforehand if I was going to make it. If you miss the bus, your only option will be a very expensive taxi - it could be as much as 200 euros.

If it were my trip, I'd decide to stay overnight in Chana, spend some time seeing this very beautiful city the next morning, and take the bus to Heraklion in the afternoon. You don't say what time of year you're travelling, but in high season, it might take a while to find a room that late in the evening - and you'll be tired after your long flight. So it would make sense to book ahead. A good and reasonably priced hotel near the bus station is the Arkadi.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

Hi there

Remember that 19.50 is landing time after which you have to taxi to the stand, disembark, go through entry formalities and claim your bags. With the best will in the world, and assuming the flight's on time, you won't clear the airport much before 20.30 at the earliest, and probably closer to 20.45. That leaves you maybe 15-30 minutes to get to the bus station to make that last bus at 21.00. It's too tight I'm afraid so rather than have a mad scramble to make that bus, miss it, and then wonder where to stay that night, I'd do as Alabastron advises and book a hotel for the night, saves so much worry and nail-biting.

Buses to Iraklion start at 06.30 and then run hourly on the hour. You'll have had a good night's sleep, you'll wake up fresh, and then enjoy the ride to Iraklion in daylight rather than in the dark.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

I agree that the best option would be to stay in Chania for the night, but it depends on how desperately you need to get to Heraklion that night. If you really do have to get there, then plan A to get the bus and plan B to get a very expensive taxi are realistic, but there could also be a plan C, to hire a car at the airport. We don't know your travel plans in Crete, and when and where you are leaving from, but you should be able to pre-order a hire-car from about €25 per day including full insurance, and pick it up from the airport. If you left it till you get there, I don't know if offices would be open at that time, and it would almost certainy be more expensive.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

I guess we need to know how desperately you "need" to get to Heraklion that night. Tell us, and then we can fine-tune the advice.

If you don't absolutely HAVE to be there that same night, then you should certainly decide to stay in Chania, and book a room. But if you do, then a rental car, booked ahead, as Steve suggests, is your best option. But you'd be driving in the dark on unfamiliar roads, arriving in Heraklion close to midnight and then negotiating the streets of the city looking for your hotel.

The one thing I wouldn't do is depend on catching that last bus (it's highly unlikely that you will, unless your flight lands at least half an hour ahead of schedule: it might, but you can't count on it) unless you are so laid back that it won't worry you if after a hectic dash from the airport in a Cretan taxi, you find yourself stranded in the dark in a strange city late at night, with no way of getting to Heraklion and a search for a hotel room ahead of you.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 11:02
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

Hello from Chania. I,m Kostas, taxi owner. If you are flying to Chania with Aegean or Olympic airlines, expect about 20 to 25 minutes from landing time to having collected your luggages and be ready to go. If you,re in a charter flight, that time could be from about 30 to 45 minutes, unless you,re in a Ryanair flight, that it would be about the same with the greek companies time (20 minutes). So, bottom line is that if your flight comes as sceduled, you are having very good chances of being at the bus station before 9pm, using a taxi. If anything goes a bit later than usual, then that chances drop dramatically, almost to none. Then, if you HAVE TO be at Herakleion the same night, 2 options left: a taxi or a rented car. I can speak for the taxi charges, from chania airport to chania city 18 to max. 20 euros (new reduced charge from this year on) and to heraklion city almost 185, which i do it for 160€. Do your maths, check your needs, analyze your cost per person and make your choices. Glad if i helped, at your disposal,

Kostas

Email : info@taxi4crete.gr

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

Kostas, are you quite sure of the timings? I don't think I've ever made it from landing to leaving the airport in 20-25 minutes (I've done at least 50-60 flights from London to Chania) and I usually travel with hand luggage only. I agree that the Olympic and Aegean flights will be faster, because the planes are smaller, but on a full flight on a big plane from any of the European starting points, unless you're sitting in a front seat near the exit it can take 10-15 minutes just to get off the plane! Then there's the queue for passport control, and baggage collection. And if more than one flight has come in at the same time, everything will take longer.

Your Chania-Heraklion fare is very reasonable, and thank you for the information about the reduced charges from the airport to the centre - that's good news for travellers.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 22:26
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

My average time of waiting booked customers from a charter flight is 40 to 45 minutes (that means anything from 30 to 60 minutes), at chania's airport, that was at least till last summer. I can,t tell how the extra flights that Ryan will do to Chania this year might effect the whole thing. As i now the 2 greek companies and as requested by Ryanair too, are on high priority of ground handling services, that,s why i said 20 to 25 minutes for them and 40 to 45 for any other charter flight. Of course, everything depends on the heavy or light schedule of the arrivals that given moment, if the lugguge service is taking their 10 minute break, if the planets are alligned, etc... :)

Edited: 14 February 2013, 23:13
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

Thanks Kostas. Exactly. There are just too many variables that can affect the time it takes to clear the airport, and with only an hour for the OP to get to the bus station for the last bus I think our advice to stay overnight in Chania - unless s/he absolutely must get to Heraklion - is the right advice.

But we seem to be talking into the wind now. Kerinaottawa, are you still there?

Interesting that Ryanair is being given ground handling priority over Easyjet.

Edited: 15 February 2013, 08:14
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

Yes, as usual we are all left whistling into the wind......

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Chania Greece airport to Heraklion City Centre

Give them a chance GB. Not everybody spends every waking hour on TA :-)