We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday plan when in chania

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
holiday plan when in chania

hello everyone, hope ur all well

me and my wife to be are heading to renieris hotel, kato stalos 2 weeks tomorrow for our honeymoon. wife would like a little relaxing time and I would like some exploring time so we will have to compimise at little, our first test of married life!! haha

we have a list of things we would like to do and just wondering if any1 could offer any advice, if its possible to do them all in the time we have and maybe any order in which to do them.

so heres the list;

lake kournas+geogriolopis

samieria gorge

aptera

botanical park

jeep safari

chania archaeological museum

elfansissi beach

balos lagoon

falassema beach

limnolopis waterpark(possibly?)

we understand we may not be able to do all of them and would appiciate any help.

we would like to spend some time in chania and would consider renting a car

were 25 and 30 years of age

we are staying for 2 weeks

thanx in advance

Raymond and Marie

Edited: 24 June 2013, 21:30
Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: holiday plan when in chania

You seem focused on the west coast which is great; you're not trying to get too much in. Just my impressions from my travels in that area:

Lake Kournas/Georgiopolis - not impressed. Nice lake, pretty water colors, but no big deal. On my Kournas day, the highlight was having lunch in the springs of Avgripouli, which wasn't that far from Kournas. Georgiopolis I didn't like at all - just a beach resort.

Samaria Gorge - I hiked it 40 years ago and thought it was OK (early July and the gorge was empty except a handful of hikers) . But worthwhile if you're spending 2 weeks in west Crete.

Aptera - great site; one of my favorites in Crete.

Chania Arch Museum - very nice; won't take more than an hour.

Elofanissi Beach - beautiful but I wouldn't go in high season. Very organized, but if you get there before the crowds worth a visit.

Balos - haven't been but would put it high on my list from what I've heard.

Just my impressions - take them with a grain of salt.

And definitely rent a car - there are lots of things to see around Chania that aren't on your list, especially the Akrotiri Peninsula. And you can easily get down to Chora Sfakia.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: holiday plan when in chania

thankyou very much for your quick reply, what about the jeep safari in to the mountains that's quite high on our list, do u know anything about that

thanx again

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: holiday plan when in chania

Er..my opinion is to listen to your wife and skip the tiring parts of the trip.

I wouldn't go my wife to the Samaria gorge on our honeymoon! You probably won't be able to walk for long the next day.

I would also skip the jeep safari but may be even not, I don't know about Chania area but there is one in Rethymnon that I know of, have a look for youself: getyourguide.com/crete-l404/…

Edited: 24 June 2013, 23:05
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: holiday plan when in chania

One thing you didn't mention is exploring Chania itself. The old town and harbour are extensive and behind the main tourist area there are lots of small back alleys where you can lose yourself in history. To do Chania right you need at least a couple of days.

Ancient Aptera is a great site. It is 18KM east of Chania and will easily take 3 to 4 hours to wander around the ruins which are spread over a mountain top. Bring water. We then headed up in the mountains and found a village taverna where we had great lamb on a spit for a late lunch.

Samaria Gorge I have to admit my knees are too old to try that walk however all reports indicate it is a wonderful experience. It will be a very long day so be sure to plan to just recover on a beach the next day.

Balos and Gramovosa. The boat excursion from Kissamos is a great day. Any travel agent can book a bus pick up and the tour although we drove our rental car to Kissamos and just bought our tickets on the dock.

Elafonissi is a pretty cool beach but it is a pretty long drive and then you have to go all the way back. i believe there is a local bus or you could drive a rental.

Falasarna is a good beach with fairly good waves to play in. Again we were able to get there because we had a rental car.

One thing you didn't mention was taking a day trip to Rethymnon. It too has a lovely old town area and lots of back alleys to get lost in. It also has a magnificent Venetian era fortress that is still largely intact.

As Zac says congratulations on concentrating your vacation in just one part of Crete. That way you are not changing locations every couple of days an you can really get into the Greek mode and slow down and relax

Chania

flickr.com/photos/…

Here is an album of western Crete. It includes some of the places you are interested in.

Western Crete

flickr.com/photos/…

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: holiday plan when in chania

Thank you both for all help, we will take in all ur advice and maybe shuffle things round little, can't wait to gt over there it looks amazing

Raymond and Marie :)

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: holiday plan when in chania

Its strange how different people have different ideas an tastes. Top of my list would be the Samarian gorge, but bear in mid it will be hot at this time of year and is strenuous and despite what some have said the jeep safari sounds fun.

I agree the lake is a bit rubbish i wasn't impressed.

Aptera is also worth a visit.

Elafonisi and Balos are both beautiful, but we didn't enjoy them. Elafonisi was just too busy and spoilt by the hoardes there litter etc. Balos we didn't like due to the ferry trip there , you were herded on with hundreds of others marched off at gramvousa and then hearded back on to be pewed onto the beach at Balos. We spent most of our time away from everyone else on the rocky beach by the open sea. You can however drive there if you hire ajeep then you can stay after the ferry leaves in the afternoon and have the place virtually to yourselves.

We prefereed Fallassarna and Seitan Limania both are doable by bus Seitan lomania just, but both easier with a car, we also like Palaicohoraand if you want a treat stop over the night in Loutro after walking the Samarian Gorge.

The arch museum won't take up too much of your time but Chania can. most people fall in love with the place and you will probably want to spend a fair bit of time there. Kato stalos is perfectly located on a regular bus route for visiting Chania with buses running until 10 pm and all night Friday and Saturday.

I would say with your itinary tou probably won't need a car all the time and to be honest it is possible to do all the things you want by public transport. A car will make some of them easier as you will see by the bus timetables below.The buses are great reliable air conditioned and cheap

www.bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetable.php

as others have said you have not crammed too much in so have time to relax too.

We honeymooned in Cretej ust West of you 13 years ago and loved it and have fallen in love with the place.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: holiday plan when in chania

Thank you, all for all your help, may think about going to the beaches before or after the crowds and also spend afew days in chania. We really do see the jeep safari ans sameria as a must while wer there, think we ll giv the lake a miss. We're really looking forward 2 going to the island and we really think we ll fall in love with it as all of u obviously have :)

Any other advice greatly accepted

Thanx again

Raymond and Marie

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: holiday plan when in chania

I stayed in Agia Marina just west of Kato Stalos a couple of years ago on a walking holiday with some mates. 2 of them went on the jeep safari and said it was a great day and highly memorable.

Personally I like Goergioupolis and lake Kournas, the lake is a great place for lunch or messing about in a boat:

http://tinyurl.com/o64dlsw

and the beach and square at G'opolis are lovely.

I agree Rethymnon is unmissable, and you must spend a couple of days in Chania.

Also, even if you don't walk Samaria, if you get a hire car do drive up to the top of the gorge, where there is a viewing platform, café and car park, and some truly magnificent views.

Here is the first photo of the set to which I gave a link above:

http://tinyurl.com/o2tpygv

They cover many of the places you want to see, including Balos, Chania, Omalos and the top of the gorge, and also some places no-one has mentioned; Chora Sfakion and Frangokastello on the south coast, again a lovely drive and well worth a day out.

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: holiday plan when in chania

Thanx steve, you have some stunning pictures there, I think we ll defo consider chora sfakion and frangokastello,

Thanx for ur help

Raymond and Marie

Edited: 25 June 2013, 19:31
New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: holiday plan when in chania

Hi. We loved the journey down to Chora Sfakia and to Frangokastello, it is really lovely down towards the south side with breathtaking views. Depending on whether you have time, you may like to visit Paleochora and public transport very good if you do not want to drive, another lovely and enjoyable place to see. Hope you have a lovely time ....