We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson car hire, anyone got experience?

Surrey, uk
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson car hire, anyone got experience?

Hi, new here! We have a package holiday with thomson booked flying next week with free car hire. According to their small print, and I have queried this with them, the car will be a vw polo size, which will not accomodate our luggage. Apparently it is up to us to pay £280 odd more to get one that will take us, plus the insurance extras.

Has anyone got experience of what car they get allocated?

We are flying into Chania.

Cheers

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson car hire, anyone got experience?

Mmm, can't guarantee anything, BUT a little tip.

When you go to the car hire desk, they will probably try to upgrade you.

My humble advice - politely refuse, sign up and then see what is in the car park for you. This has happened to us more than once,that when you go to the car, it will be whatever they have left and could well be something larger than you booked, but of course at the same price. If however you strike unlucky and it's too small, then you can renegotiate locally. It will be less money than doing it on a Tour operator's website - and any extras you have to pay will go into the local economy and not into the Tour Operator's bank account. Good luck.

Surrey, uk
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson car hire, anyone got experience?

Thank you, very helpful. Always keen for the money to go to supplier not Tour operator.

Perachora, Greece
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson car hire, anyone got experience?

Purchase collision damage waver insurance before you leave ( in the UK) it works out cheaper, lasts a year and you get to check out the small print.

England
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson car hire, anyone got experience?

I usually prefer to book cars from local agencies, because the prices are better in most cases. For example, the prices at Thomson for a 1 week rental in May start from 160€ for a small car (Hyundai Getz).

My local provider in Crete can offer me a similar car for 133€ and I will save even more (100€) if the car comes with a child seat and a GPS device.

You can find several local companies if you do a search on Bing. If you prefer to use Google for your search, avoid the first 10 results because most of them are either ads, resellers or international companies.

Marko

Edited: 17 April 2014, 18:52
5. Re: Thomson car hire, anyone got experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town