We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomm options for people with physical disability?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Accomm options for people with physical disability?

Hi all

We are a couple from Australia and are considering Crete for a 3 day pre med cruise stay; our cruise leaves from Athens so we thought it's a great opportunity to stay on a Greek Island!

I have a physical disability and use a walking stick. It is better for me to be in a flat area and to have accommodation with an elevator, or failing that, with stairs that are manageable (not too steep) with a good hand rail.

We thought Chania looked a good option, as the port area is flat plus we love the old world charm and quaintness of the area.

Would Chania be one of the most accessible options for Crete?

Re Chania, would we be better going for accommodation around the port area? Is Theotokopoulou Street too steep to manage?

I am keen for ideas for accommodation options. We are happy to splurge, as this trip is for my husband's 60th! Up to 130 Euro per night is fine. We would like somewhere in the port area but maybe not right where all the nightclub noise is. Or a hotel that has sound proof windows, lol! A view of the harbour would be great too! Limited stairs is obviously a bonus, however I'm resigned to the fact that I may have to cope with a few stairs for 3 days.

We have been looking at the Loukia Hotel and love the views and the quaint rooms! Can anyone advise the room number of their best room? We would like a larger balcony with the best views and a large bed. And what are the stairs like?

Thanks everyone, much appreciate your help with this as it's best to ask people that know the area for my situation.

Cheers

Amanda

Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomm options for people with physical disability?

Hi Amanda, I have stayed at the Porto Veneziano Hotel located on the waterfront in Chania. The sea view rooms would be in your price range. A very good breakfast is included in the price of the room. There are elevators to the rooms, but probably some stairs to the lobby from the street. I don't remember. it was a quiet location when I was there mid September. The water front is flat and would be an easy area to stroll around. There are many reviews on tripadvisor to help you decide. I hope you have a great trip.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomm options for people with physical disability?

Thanks Phillygal, this hotel looks great and should suit us well.

Really appreciate your help, it will save me hours of research!

Cheers

Amanda

3. Re: Accomm options for people with physical disability?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 August 2013, 06:50
Edited: 04 August 2013, 06:50
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomm options for people with physical disability?

Hello Amanda

As I read your post - and thank you for your precise and thorough explanation of your requirements, which makes it so much easier to know what to advise - I too thought of the Porto Veneziano. I am sure this would be the right choice for you. It is a modern hotel with an elevator (the only one, so far as I know, right on the harbour, though there are others "inland"). It's on the "new" harbour, which is less picturesque than the old harbour, but it's much quieter, it's beautiful enough, and you can have the old harbour view whenever you walk there, or sit down for a drink. The old harbour is a few minutes stroll (flat, as you've realised) from the new harbour, and there are a couple of good fish tavernas within a few steps of the hotel, which you might appreciate after a big supper!

But my very first thought was "They need a better hotel than the Loukia". The Loukia does have a splendid view of the old harbour, but it's a very basic hotel and not one for an Important Birthday Splurge. My second thought was that the nice old B&Bs in Theotokopoulou are likely to have nice but narrow, steep old stairs; and the street itself, while not "very "steep, is certainly fairly steep. Anyway, it's a hill - and why put yourself on a hill when you don't have to? You can go for a walk there to see it without subjecting yourself to a hill several times a day.

So unless someone else can recommend an even better hotel, I think there's no contest: the Porto Veneziano is going to be your best choice of hotel, and you'll be most comfortable there. And Chania is surely the right choice of place. It's by far the most beautiful of Crete's cities, and while Rethymnon and Agios Nikolaos are also very nice, with flat areas, Chania has the most to offer. I think you will love it.

And now here is an afterthought, just in case you want to have a look at something else. The Arkhontiki is a new hotel, a couple of years old, not on the harbour but quite close. I've stayed there: it's very pleasant, with nice rooms, and an elevator, very near the wonderful cruciform central market, and with nice views. It's not in the class of the Porto Veneziano, but might be worth a look.

http://www.portoveneziano.gr/

http://www.archontikihotel.gr/en

Edited: 04 August 2013, 07:00
Brisbane
Level Contributor
91 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomm options for people with physical disability?

Hi Alabastron

Thanks so much for putting so much thought into my situation and for your comprehensive reply, much appreciated. This information will be really helpful for anyone with a mobility impairment.

I totally agree, Chania and the Veneziano hotel seem like the perfect match for our situation! I will get onto booking the hotel now as I am sure it is very popular.

We are very excited about our visit to Chania; it has always been my dream to do the Greek Islands! Then we are doing a 22 night med cruise to Barcelona! Big adventures ahead for us!

Thanks again for all your help and insight.

Cheers

Amanda

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomm options for people with physical disability?

Hi again Amanda

You're very welcome: I'm glad to have helped, and I'm sure you will have a wonderful three days in Chania.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
687 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomm options for people with physical disability?

Try:- Eria Resort for Disabled People which is reviewed on TA

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g189415-d4840…

Seems fairly centally located in Chania.

The Loukia hotel is a bit basic, but does have a lift which should accomodate a wheelchair if necessary. Christos, the proprietor is very helpful. We have stayed twice, I think you might have to book well in advance if you want a nice balcony over the harbour. Some people have complained about noisy discos recently, maybe we're a bit deaf.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomm options for people with physical disability?

>Try:- Eria Resort for Disabled People which is reviewed on TA. Seems fairly centally located in Chania.<

The Eria Resort for Disabled People is not in Chania at all, it is in Maleme, about 15 km west of Chania!

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
687 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomm options for people with physical disability?

The review mentioned above, has a map VERY clearly shows a location in central Chania, Maybe Tripadvisor needs to review stuff like that before it suffers ny further loss of credbility, or does it rely entirely on posters to do all their work?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,445 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomm options for people with physical disability?

TripAdvisor does rely heavily on posters! Without us it wouldn't exist.

Seriously: I'm sure TA do their best to get things right, including their maps, but since they cover the entire world and most of the hotels in it, they're bound to make mistakes occasionally. It's always best to check the hotel's own website for basic facts such as where it is. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Chania Town
Recent Conversations