We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

Which Chania Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

I'm desperate for some sunshine so I've booked a flight with Ryanair to Chania and am hoping to stay at Waves on the Rock because it sounds so quiet and idyllic. But, how on earth do I get there?! It doesn't look that close to Chania?

Help! Thanks :)

Also, will I be safe by myself (young, but not terribly frightenable female)

Mary

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,716 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

Hi Mary

It's not a problem. You can go most of the way by bus, from Chania bus station to Kolymvari; and take a taxi the rest of the way.

If Kostas, our ever-helpful resident taxi owner, is reading this, perhaps he can work out the precise mileage and give you an idea of the cost, but It isn't very far, and won't be very expensive.

You'll have to get from the airport to Chania bus station, by bus or taxi. What time are you arriving?

You will be safe.

Edited: 30 September 2013, 23:32
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,590 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

As Alabastron says, it's easy enough to get to, but it is very remote. It's 3km to the nearest village, Ravdoucha, which is over 200m above sea level.

So if you want a retreat then fine, but otherwise, it may be best to re-consider.

Also the later you go in October the more lilkely you are to have unpredictable weather, and the place may even be closed.

Bus timetables; there is one bus a day from Ravdoucha into Chania on weekdays, at 0715 - returning at 1315:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

airport buses:

and Chania - Kolibari:

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,716 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

I think Steve has a good point. You want somewhere quiet and idyllic (and sunny!) but you might not want to be quite so isolated. You're obviously going very soon, and in October there are quite a few other places that will be quiet and idyllic, so perhaps you really should reconsider.

You might want to look at the south coast villages. The south coast is usually a little warmer than the north, and drier, too. Chora Sfakion, reachable in under two hours by bus from Chania might suit you: it's a very nice village with a good little beach (two in the village, actually, and another amazing and huge one, Sweetwater, an hour's walk away). Or Sougia, two hours from Chania by bus: a friendly small village with - in my opinion but not only mine - the best beach in all Crete and one of the best in Crete.

Chora Sfakion and Sougia are "remote" by the standards of the much more developed and touristic north coast, but they are villages, connected to the bus network, with shops and facilities and people to chat to if you want to. They are both in beautiful surroundings and the Libyan Sea is very clean and clear.

These are just suggestions, in case a 3km uphill walk to the nearest small village starts to lose its appeal.

If it weren't already October, I would also suggest Loutro or (for an exceptionally quiet and idyllic place) Finix and Lykos. But they are dependent on the ferry service, which can be unreliable once the weather begins to turn, so I won't suggest them.

If you do want to change from Waves on the Rock to somewhere else on the north coast, look at Agii Apostoli or Chryssi Akti, two good beach resorts very near Chania, or Almirida or Georgioupolis a little further away on the way to Rethymnon.

Edited: 01 October 2013, 12:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,716 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

Correction re Sougia beach: one of the best in *Greece*.

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

Hello,

Thank you so much for all this good advice. Definitely worth considering. I land at Chania at 19.55 and really would like to get to where I'm staying that evening so that I can settle in for 7 nights! Will it be warm if I stick to the north coast? I really want some sun and I want to swim so good to know if that's a possibility on the north coast!

Budget is also a bit of an issue; I need to find somewhere that's 28 euros or less per night. I think you might have a good point about the Waves on the Rock being a bit isolated. Might it be a better idea to find a nice, quiet hostel but hopefully still be by the sea?

Now feeling quite confused about where I should go! Eeek!

Thank you for all your help!

Mary

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,590 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

I think if you are going this late you need to be somewhere pretty near civilisation, although it is clear form the fact that you were considering Ravdoucha that you wouldn't want to be staying in a big town.

I don't think your budget would be a big issue at this time of the year.

There is plenty available from £15 a niht, it's just a matter of choosing how quiet you want the location to be. Personally I would look at places very close to Chania, but naturally it's your call.

Also I would go for a studio, so you have basic cooking facilities etc at least for breakfast/making sandwiches - again useful if you're on a budget.

I've just done a dummy search for 7 nights going next week with the following results, you can re-order them by price low to high:

travelrepublic.co.uk/hotels/…

This will give you an idea. When are you flying out?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

Hi there

The further into October you go, the less dependable the weather and of course, no one can ever predict what may or may not happen weather-wise. The south coast should be a few degrees warmer than the north coast because it's washed by the Libyan Sea but who can say? There are just as many places to swim on the north coast as the south, it just depends whether any early autumn storms have whipped the sea up, which will lower the water temperature considerably.

There are plenty of places west and east of Chania that are accessible via bus but if you land at 1955, you should be clear of the airport within 45 minutes or so, making it about 2045 or so, after which you then need to bus or taxi to the main bus station in Chania. So, if you are dead set on getting to somewhere that evening to settle in, I'd look at the available bus services after say 2130, see which towns or villages are still reachable, or bite the bullet, absorb the cost, and grab a taxl at the airport to take you straight to wherever you decide upon.

You will always take a chance with the weather as you near the end of October, so if you want smoewhere that doesn't involve too much travel and cost to reach, just stick to the north coast, somewhere close to Chania.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 15:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,716 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

It's mid-October, and you haven't said when you're going, but you're already into the unsettled-weather period, and if you're really set on sunshine ("desperate" was what you said!) you're almost certainly more likely to get it on the south coast. That seems to be to me a good deal more important than getting to where you're going on your arrival night. So I'm going to repeat myself. Go south.

If you stay in Chania for one night, the 8.30 bus to Chora Sfakion the next morning will get you there before 10.30. All the accommodation in the village is within a few minutes walk of the bus stop: you could be unpacked and settled and on the beach within half an hour, with the whole of your first day ahead of you. How different is that from staying on the north coast? Just a couple of hours at most, on the beach. As I said earlier, it's a nice village, quiet but not isolated, and friendly - interesting, too, with several little churches in the surrounding hills, a castle, and a war memorial, as well as a good choice of accommodation. Your chances of good weather are genuinely better there than on the north coast. Of course you could still be unlucky - there are no guarantees. But that is what I would do. I can make suggestions for accommodation if you wish: just ask.

Here is the bus timetable:

Edited: 16 October 2013, 18:05
London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

Hmm. Thank you again for all the good advice.

The south coast does sound good - I'm flying tues so I'd be arriving in Chora Sfakion on Weds. What do you think are good accommodation options? Ridiculous question, but do lots of places have baths? As in, bathtubs?

Thank you all so much!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,590 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Chania airport to Waves on the Rock, Ravdoucha

Most simple hotels and studios will only have a shower, and as far as I know there are only simple hotels and studios in Chora Sfakion.

Here is a link to the TA reviews - note that TA uses the alternative name Sfakia:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g2396903-Sfakia_Cha…

I've never stayed in Ch. Sf. so can't give any recommendations.

Here are 6 photos of the area starting with this one:

http://tinyurl.com/ncf2349

and afterwards there are some of Frangokastello castle, a few miles east.