We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chania or Rethimno

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Chania or Rethimno

What would be the better option for a 2 week stay in Crete . . . Chania or Rethimno? My research so far says both towns would be very nice, but since Chania has an airport it would be easier to fly there and base my time in Crete there and do day trips to surrounding areas, including Rethimno. Both towns have Old Town areas which is what we travel to Greece for. Not looking for anything fancy or over-the-top just good, basic accommodations in a low-key area with enough open to keep us happy. Probably will travel there next Oct., but May is another option.

Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chania or Rethimno

Hi,

A good idea is to split the time between Chania and Rethymnon.

One week in each one is a good time to expore the town and have a look around them.

Weatherwise it's better to come on May, as October starts getting a bit chilly espesially at nights.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chania or Rethimno

You can't ask that! Gerloin from Rethymnon was very kind in his reply not to just say Rethymno! But I live near Hania & love it very much so would say Hania with a day-trip to Rethymnon!

The truth is, both are very lovely, but more people would say you shouldn't miss Hania. they are reasonably similar in some ways, so perhaps stay in 1 for a week, visit the other & stay in a beach resort or village for the 2nd week.....

I'd say October or May are perfect times to visit; in October the sea is warm

3. Re: Chania or Rethimno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 07:24
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,708 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chania or Rethimno

Yes, Gerlion was being very even-handed. :-)

They're both nice towns. I've spent more time in Chania, but I like them both. Chania is much bigger, with a wider range of "things to do and see". The harbour and the old part of town are simply beautiful. Chania attracts huge numbers of tourists, and although I love the place I'm always aware of that, even in May and October when it isn't nearly as busy as it is in during the summer months. Rethymnon is smaller, with a nice harbour and a pleasant old town, and a large student population, which gives it quite a different feel from Chania. I always feel it's a quieter, more relaxed place.

Chania and Rethymnon are only an hour's bus journey apart, so you could choose either and still spend as much time as you wanted to in the other. I think you'd enjoy staying in either. Chania, being further west, is closer to the famous beaches - Falassarna, Balos, Elafonisi - and to the Samaria Gorge. For a glimpse of the south coast, Chora Sfakion, from where you can visit Loutro and Agia Roumeli by coastal ferry, is easily reachable by bus or car; so is Paleochora. From Rethymnon you could more easily reach some of the ancient sites - Phaistos, Agia Triada, and Gortys, Arkadi monastery, and the beautiful, traditional Amari Valley. And of course Rethymnon is closer to Heraklion, so easier and less tiring to do a day trip to visit Knossos and see the sights of the Big City.

Whether you settle down in one location for the full two weeks, or split them, really depends on your own travelling style. Mine is for choosing one base, staying there, digging in and getting to know it, and moving around from it. It seems to make the holiday feel longer. Others would prefer a change of scenery after a week.

Whichever you decide on, I think you are wise to stay at one end of Crete, rather than try to cover the entire country in two weeks. You could do that too, and many people do, but you'd get no more than a fleeting taste of it. It's far better to do as you plan to do, and spend your two weeks seeing more of the west. You can always return to explore the other half - and you probably will.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
100 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chania or Rethimno

I absolutely agree with Alabastron! I want to add that Chania has excellent bus connections with all villages in West Crete, so even if you don't rent a car, which we never do because it takes some of the fun out of village lunches and dinners, you can explore this beautiful part of Crete. And I want to add that May may be warmer than October but my son just got back from the beach after a swim in the warm water at the town beach.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,900 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chania or Rethimno

Well I am biased but here goes anyway. Like Albastron I am pleased that you have decided to concentrate on one part of Crete. In two weeks you can get a good start of getting to know the West. Chania is just full of charm. Its Venetian era harbour and old town is extensive and you can truly step back into time as you explore this area. After a few days in Chania you can start to do day trips as mentioned by Albastron. I might add the excursion day boat to Gramovossa and Balos and not to be missed Ancient Aptera.

You asked about accommodation. We stay at Theotokopoulou street. it is just a hundred meters from the main harbour area but is pedestrian only and quiet at night for sleeping. Another bonus is there is free parking at the foot of the street at Talos square. There are lots of hotels in this area in every price range. We stay at Pension Nora which is a nice hotel but well priced for budget minded travellers. Right across the alley is Jason which is highly recommended as well.

Here are images of Theotokopoulou St area flickr.com/photos/…

Chania flickr.com/photos/…

After a week you will probably be ready to head out somewhere else. We normally head over to Rethymnon which is always worth a couple of days. yes it is similar to Chania but it is worth a visit particularly for the Fortezza. From Rethymnon we head south to the Libyan Sea. That coast is spectacular. We stay in Plakias a somewhat plain Village but it is close to sites and is on a blue flag beach. You can get to Prevalli Monastery and Prevalli Beach as well as Frangokastelli and Spilli on day trips as well.

Here are images of most of the places already suggested.

Western Crete flickr.com/photos/…

Have fun planning

Edited: 30 October 2013, 14:21
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chania or Rethimno

Thank you both,

I, try, to be objective, as objective as I can. I live in Rethymnon I love my town, but I won't misslead anyone in favor of it. Chania shouldn't be missed, but I believe a week is a good time to have a decent look around.

If you would ask me a few years ago, I didn't like Rethymnon as I do today. Since 2005 till now there have been huge renovations to streets, squares, bicycle lanes on pavements etc. It's a lot better now.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chania or Rethimno

I've been leaning towards Chania so it appears that would be our choice but still will be doing more research. When we travel for more than 10 days we normally split it between 2 towns but I think Chania has enough to offer to keep us happy and there seems to be decent bus service to surrounding areas and of course a trip to Rethymnon. We do not travel for nightclubs, a lot of shopping or even spending much time on a beach but mostly to see the country, talk to locals, walk/hike and of course eat! Lots of time before we make a final decision so may be coming back for more advice and suggestions. Already have gotten good prices from various accommodations in Chania including Hera Studios, Pension Lena and also her Old Stone House, Jason, Eva Pension, Iro Hotel with prices ranging from 35-55 euros a night. Still looking to see what else is available, especially in the Old Town area.

9. Re: Chania or Rethimno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Chania Town
Recent Conversations